Z shaped layouts 00 gauge

In recent weeks I have seen reference to z shaped layouts in oo gauge and have wondered what sort of operational protectial would be possible if used fro a small shunting layout?

Are two locos required to move wagons and would boredom set in very quickly?

Thanks

Milano

• RMweb Gold

Space limitations on the number of wagons that can be shunted are dependent on the length of the headshunts.  A 'Z' format is very useful on a layout with different levels and gradients between them.  Another possibility for a long but narrow site is to have the scenic portion of the layout at the front and the fiddle behind it at a higher level behind it connected by the middle leg of the Z; trains reverse to access the fiddle or the layout from the fiddle.  The advantage of this is that the operator can easily reach the layout and the fiddle from the same position.

Here’s a link to Maldon Market Hill, a ‘Z’ layout, which also has a brief bit about operation.

http://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-59a-march-2007/

Yes, it isn’t quite the same as an inglenook or a timesaver, but you could have a bit of fun putting randomly generated wagons in one of the four ‘corners’ (ie Goods/Platform/Bay/Fiddleyard).

Or trying to shunt together an outgoing goods train in the right order whilst having to clear the road for a regular passenger service.

I agree it isn’t Charring Cross, but probably the most interest you can get out of two turnouts and a bit of plywood...

I’m intending to use a ‘z’ for my foray into O-gauge, so any suggestions other folks could add would be closely followed!

Edited by Thunderforge
  • Like 1