Glasgow Gasworks Locomotives - A Query

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Here I am again asking a question on behalf of another friend who doesn't use this forum (note to self: must try harder on marketing RMWeb).

My friend has a locomotive nameplate that says 'Glasgow Gasworks Locomotive No. 5'.  We've tried the usual online searches but have come up with a blank.  Anyone have any clues to the locomotive?

I put this thread here as I thought someone with industrial railway knowledge may be more likely to have an answer.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Regards,

Alex.

Glasgow Corporation Gas Dept. (and successors SGB) had various works and many locomotives over the years. According to IRS Handbook N five different locomotives, of three different gauges, carried the number 5.

2ft. gauge

0-4-0WT Kerr Stuart 4153 of 1920

0-4-0WT Sharp Stuart 3941 of 1893

2ft. 6in gauge

0-4-0T Andrew Barclay 986 of 1903

4ft. 8 1/2in. gauge

0-4-0ST Andrew Barclay 2075 of 1939

I guess the size of the plate may give an indication of whether it came off a narrow or standard gauge engine?

The text of the plate will also give clues, especially if cast by the loco manufacturer. Hunslet, Barclay and Peckett etc all had distinctive in house styles. Ofcourse they could have been added at a later date!

Paul A.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for that information gentlemen.  I'll pass it on.

I've been told that a photo will be emailed to me, so hopefully that'll help narrow it down.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Here's the image of the plate:

post-16293-0-11342500-1532524392_thumb.jpg

I have no knowledge of the different styles that relate to different manufacturers and operators so I am hoping that someone here will be able to assist.

Again, many thanks for any help offered.

Regards,

Alex.

Where does the word 'locomotive' appear?  This could be a number plate from any sort of vehicle or machine.  Is there any sort of provenance confirming it is a loco plate?

EDIT - just realised that it is only 6" wide so very small for a loco.

Edited by 5050

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

'Locomotive' - use of the word was my error, as I was trying to recall what was said to me by the plate's current owner.

Provenance - only the story from the current owner.  I imagine any formal paper trail is unlikely ....

If it proves impossible to identify the vehicle this belonged to, locomotive or otherwise, that does not truly matter.

Regards,

Alex.