Elton, modern day Cambridgeshire station

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m hoping to recreate my impression of a modern version Elton station on the long closed Northampton to Peterborough line. In my world, the line never closed though closed to passengers in the 60’s and with the advent of Network SouthEast, the line reintroduced passenger service.

Moving to the present day, Elton station was rebuilt as the original one closed in the early 50’s, demolished and I’m using the Heljan 2501 Local Railway Station which is based on Tackley in Oxfordshire as its new station. Passenger service is provided by London midland Class 153’s though East Midlands Trains Class 153’s and 156’s appear from time to time.. I was originally thinking of keeping it as a single tracked line but also I’m thinking of returning it to double track as my other plan was it’s also being used as diversionary route for intermodal traffic between Felixstowe, DIRFT at Daventry and points north.

I would really like to hear from others for inspiration and sensible suggestions.

Edited by jools1959

Interesting thought, and not as far fetched as you might think, the site is the next projected step from Yarwell for the NVR on its journey towards Oundle.

Maybe the services would predominantly be Cross Country, Cambridge to Rugby or even a reversal at Northampton and onward to Oxford via Bletchley. CC provide the ECML to WCML services in this area, bar for the Norwich - Liverpool and that seems set to change. A local service from Northampton to Wellingborough Midland between the CC services might seem logical for LM but doubtful the service would go beyond there, particularly if a WCML to MML link was the aim. To reach Peterborough via Wellingborough Midland Rd would involve two messy reversals.

I believe the last passenger services were class 116 or 125 DMU school specials from Kings Cross to Oundle in 1972, long after normal services ceased but had they continued, the gravel pits at Tansor, Raunds and Thrapston could have provided additional fright traffic although they were worked out by the 1980s.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Maybe the services would predominantly be Cross Country, Cambridge to Rugby or even a reversal at Northampton and onward to Oxford via Bletchley. CC provide the ECML to WCML services in this area, bar for the Norwich - Liverpool and that seems set to change. A local service from Northampton to Wellingborough Midland between the CC services might seem logical for LM but doubtful the service would go beyond there, particularly if a WCML to MML link was the aim. To reach Peterborough via Wellingborough Midland Rd would involve two messy reversals.

In my world, this is a alternative plan to the Cambridge to Oxford route via Bedford by using the Peterborough to Northampton route. To solve the Wellingborough problem, it would stop at a new station and then go onto Northampton where it would reverse. It would then call at Milton Keynes, use the Bletchley flyover and onto Oxford. I was thinking that Cross Country would provide the service and Midland Trains doing the local services.

The local service would leave Peterborough and by using the Fletton curve and use what’s now the Nene Valley Railway to Yarwell, then use the line to Northampton. The Cambridge to Oxford service would use the long removed Peterborough East junction, as would intermodal and other freight. The station at Elton would be a request stop as the passenger loading would be quite low.

Edited by jools1959
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After a conversation with a member from my model railway club, he suggested that I kept it single line working but retained semaphore signalling and made it look something similar to the line from Norwich to Great Yarmouth. I wasn’t planning to have any signals on the layout except for some kind starter signal on the platform end that protects the level crossing.

Is this worth considering or stick with my original plan?

• RMweb Gold

Semaphore would be unlikely on a line reopened during sectorisation, so you'd probably want a different back story.

I’ve decided to have it double track as it used to be but the platforms would be staggered so the train would go over the level crossing first before arriving at the platform. The signalling would be a simple three aspect colour light protecting the level crossing in each direction so there would be no need for a station starter either.

The Northampton direction platform would be a simple affair with a bus shelter style waiting area and have a small car park or turning circle. The Peterborough direction would also be a simple platform again with a bus shelter style waiting but with no car parking available.

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve decided to have it double track as it used to be but the platforms would be staggered so the train would go over the level crossing first before arriving at the platform. The signalling would be a simple three aspect colour light protecting the level crossing in each direction so there would be no need for a station starter either.

Depends on what type of crossing, if it's an AHB or MCB (most likely) then it needs protecting signals, if it is an ABCL or AOCL, it doesn't need protecting signals.

Simon

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Depends on what type of crossing, if it's an AHB or MCB (most likely) then it needs protecting signals, if it is an ABCL or AOCL, it doesn't need protecting signals.

Simon

Hi Simon, apart from AHB (automatic half barriers) which I know, what are MCB, ABCL and AOCL?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon, apart from AHB (automatic half barriers) which I know, what are MCB, ABCL and AOCL?

MCB = Manned Crossing Barriers. These are installations with barriers that completely close off the road (4 or 2 long barriers) and are interlocked with the protecting signals. Variants include those with closed circuit TV for the signaller to observe the crossing remotely MCB(CCTV) or crossings fitted with obstacle detection MCB(OD) which allows the crossing to be automated to a degree.

ABCL = Automatic Barriered Crossing Locally monitored. Similar to an AHB* to road users, but the train driver is required to monitor the correct operation as they approach via a special signal fitted for the purpose. If any of the crossing equipment fails then they will not receive the correct signal and must stop before reaching the crossing. As such can only be used where the linespeed is less than 40mph.

AOCL = Automatic Open Crossing Locally monitored. Similar to the above except there are no barriers and the maximum permissible linespeed drops to 20mph.

* Although AHB crossings are Automatic, they still fall under the control of a signal box where things like the correct operation of the crossing equipment is monitored and where alarms are generated if it becomes detected. Locally monitored crossings, as the name suggests have no such reporting.

Edited by phil-b259