Withered Arm - first use of term.

Rivercider

When was the term 'Withered Arm' first applied to the LSWR lines in the West Country?

Somewhere I thought I recalled that the first use was perhaps as far back as the 1930s, perhaps a derogatory term applied by the GWR, but cannot find any reference.

I think originally it referred to the North Cornwall line to Padstow, which on a map seems to stretch out like a withered arm.

Later, following the WR takeover and run-down, the term seems to more generally refer to lines west of Salisbury.

Did Beeching use the term in his reports?

Might the idea for the name have come from the Thomas Hardy ghost story? 

any thoughts

cheers

• RMweb Premium

When was the term 'Withered Arm' first applied to the LSWR lines in the West Country?

Somewhere I thought I recalled that the first use was perhaps as far back as the 1930s, perhaps a derogatory term applied by the GWR, but cannot find any reference.

I think originally it referred to the North Cornwall line to Padstow, which on a map seems to stretch out like a withered arm.

Later, following the WR takeover and run-down, the term seems to more generally refer to lines west of Salisbury.

There was a book published in 1968 by T.W.E.Roche entitled "The Withered Arm - Reminiscences of the Southern Lines West of Exeter". I have sometimes wondered if this was the origin of the term. Does anyone recall any definite references earlier than this?

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Gold

There was a book published in 1968 by T.W.E.Roche entitled "The Withered Arm - Reminiscences of the Southern Lines West of Exeter". I have sometimes wondered if this was the origin of the term. Does anyone recall any definite references earlier than this?

That was definitely the first time I came across the term - not that it means it hadn't been around much earlier of course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

any thoughts

cheers

My feeling is that it was from the 1930s, though I dont have any evidence for it. Beeching never used it in his reports.

Certainly the name was inspired by the Hardy story, and work started on the section west of Launceston shortly after it was published - it may have been the inspiration for an unofficial name at the time. 

• Like 1

any thoughts

cheers

As far as I'm aware it came from Roche's book and referred to the Southern lines west of Exeter. It certainly wasn't anything to do with Beeching. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 2