The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Teenagers!

Joseph_Pestell

Here are some training videos to help you-

and what happens during an interview-

Before anyone starts I am not saying that all/ most/ very many Millennials are like it, but they are quite funny.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 3

I have an MA (Hons) in English Literature. I have an MLitt in Irish & Scottish Studies (basically literature, but leavened with some funky linguistic shenanigans). I have a PhD [pending] in English Literature.

And yet, my job title is Senior Quality Engineer.

It reminds me a little of the following exchange in the original Muppet Movie:

[Gonzo]: "I'm going to Bombay, India, to become a movie star!"

[Fozzy]: "Why not go to Hollywood? That's what we're doing."

[Gonzo]: "Oh, sure, if you want to do it the easy way..."

Not every engineer needs to use a screwdriver, and the qualifications required for those other forms of engineering can be just as arduous to obtain.

Regards,

Gavin

As a self important engineer myself, I have no problem with people who actually do engineering using the title.

What I get wound up about is when "engineers" are summoned to fix the lift or unblock the toilet. Those are different things to engineering... Best stop there before I engage rant mode.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I was 13, my old chap said I was useless,

By the time I was 20, I was running my first big foundry job, and earning 3 times his salary.

The old chap didn't like that either.....

Cheers,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry

As a (former) Engineer, I've never really been bothered about the misappropriation of the term. I know what I am, and the people whose opinion/judgment actually matters know the difference, so I don't really care what others may call themselves. Public opinion? If you care about that you maybe should have availed yourself of career opportunities in professional sport or vacuous TV celebrity 'cos if you do anything actually useful in the English speaking world you're on a major hiding to nothing in that regard.

• Like 1

The pigeon-holing ageism of the OP offends me more than anything else.

I've tried to engage our work experience lads and lasses in the print trade. We've had failures but the enthusiasm of those that had a genuine interest was enthralling. We lost two particularly outstanding candidates to other industries.

The less enthusiastic dopes we've had I rather think were not interested in work, period, or wanted to be in graphic design but lost interest once the binary code left them, with no thought how their ideas make it to finished product.

I suspect the placement of them might've been a factor.

None of which is exclusive to Teens.

Age, Gender, Religion or Race aside, being an is a most inclusive club. I'm not looking for membership.

C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a (former) Engineer, I've never really been bothered about the misappropriation of the term. I know what I am, and the people whose opinion/judgment actually matters know the difference, so I don't really care what others may call themselves. Public opinion? If you care about that you maybe should have availed yourself of career opportunities in professional sport or vacuous TV celebrity 'cos if you do anything actually useful in the English speaking world you're on a major hiding to nothing in that regard.

I must say that it is something that has never bothered me either. If you look at the etymology of "engineer" most of those who are eligible for professional registration are not engineers in the original sense.

different use of the same word. It's the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers over here, and I am a stationary Engineer by certification. I am also an engineering technologist by education, and a Marine Engineering Artificer by Certificate. Like how a degree and a diploma mean different things on each side of the Atlantic... (edited from men to mean...damm you autocorrect ! )

Edited by peach james
  • Like 2