The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Are Dashcams any good for filming layout...?

coachmann

I wondered if anyone has used a Dashcam for filming their model railway layout.  I dunno much about them and it is probable their optimum focus point is not close up. Still, any useful feedback would be welcome even if it's only "Don't bother...".

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

I bought a Mobius action cam, which is like a dashcam, and I had some really good results with it.

It was particularly good for mounting in a wagon and doing drivers eye videos.

Before I received a proper camcorder at Christmas, I used it as a normal camera - it used to get many strange looks at model railway shows!

Check out my YouTube channel - ba14eagle - any of the model railway films made in 2016 or 2017, will have been recorded with it.

The only negative point - with the Mobius anyway - is that there is no screen, so you cant see what you are recording.       

• RMweb Gold

I think you'd probably be better off looking at action cameras - the gopro type mini camcorders designed for sports use. I've thought that the Sony Actioncam has quite a good form factor for such use - I think one would sit quite nicely in a well wagon for propelling round a layout, and the latest version is smaller, so would fit into a conventional wagon (or perhaps an auto-trailer or DMU cab...)

• 2 weeks later...

The trouble with Dash Cams is that they "loop" record. Many record in segments gradually filling the memory card until it's full where upon they record over the over the first part again. Most "experts" recommend that the user of a Dash Cam puts a micro 32GB memory card into the camera. The cheaper cameras leave a slight gap at the end of each segment which would be no good in filming a model railway for a cab view as the view would have drop outs.

As others have said buy a micro camera or as they're known as "Action Cams". I have a Sony AS100V (no longer available new) that is the right height for OO gauge provided you use a bogie well wagon one is available from Bachmann you just remove the load which is held by a single screw in the base. Also I found doing a test with wheel sets is advisable as metal wheels tend to roar and if you have a sound loco that roar may drown it out. So plastic wheel sets is an option. You'll still get the "clickety clack" from the wheels without the roar of the rails. Hope this all helps.

Also with the Sony you have a flip function whereby you can invert the camera and the footage comes out the right way up. For OO gauge placing the camera on the permanent way fools the eye into thinking that the loco is O gauge rather than OO for your view is looking up at a loco not looking down on the loco. With the Sony I have is a WiFi LED screen controller (for want of a better word). It's handy for you can get the scene level before you start recording using pieces of Blu Tak to support the camera and you also use it to start and stop recording so you never have to touch the camera. The camera records in HD 1080p 50fps and also XVAC for an even higher frame rate if you so wish.

Edited by faulcon1