BR Platform & Carriage Working Notices

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I have, I cannot remember from where it came, a P & CWN for Waterloo commencing 17th September 1956 SX

However it has all the even number pages missing except for 12.

Could anyone suggest where I might find something like this and, even better,  where I might find a similar document for the Summer of (say 1960) SO?

There is a stamp on the document I have for 'Beckenham & West Wickham MRC Library Copy'. I have sent them an Email in case they have the Library of these Docs.

Thank you

Phil

While I cannot help with your specific query, I can say that these documents were compiled locally by the relevant SM's office. Division sent each SM a draft of each new WTT (which IIRC had been compiled at Waterloo) together with details of the stock intended to work each train, the SM then had to work out platform workings to fit the proposed timetable which wasn't apparently the easiest job in the world. The compilers had done a basic count to make sure that there were never more trains (or carriages) in a terminal than there were platforms to take them, but apparently the task of turning that into a workable set of platform workings could make championship chess look easy. I can remember Bill Woodyer, when he was SM at Cannon Street, complaining that the task (he compiled the workings for Charing Cross as well) could be nigh on impossible.

One result of the local compilation is that, while copies were widely distributed to the station and signalling staff concerned, that was it. I don't think that even Control had copies, and, while there was usually at least one railway enthusiast who would gain and keep copies, there was no official archiving of them. I certainly used to have a few, thanks to the aforesaid BW, but they disappeared long ago during various house moves - and I suspect that that would have been common even when such things started to acquire a value.

As relatively sizeable documents, they were printed by an outside printer, contracted for the purpose by Paper & Printing at Crewe, and it sounds to me as if the copy that you have had one of the sheets that were subsequently folded into 16-page sections before being stitched and trimmed, accidentally printed on one side only - hence the blank pages. Printers always printed (and charged for) more than the contracted print run in order to over come such problems.

I have, I cannot remember from where it came, a P & CWN for Waterloo commencing 17th September 1956 SX

However it has all the even number pages missing except for 12.

Could anyone suggest where I might find something like this and, even better,  where I might find a similar document for the Summer of (say 1960) SO?

There is a stamp on the document I have for 'Beckenham & West Wickham MRC Library Copy'. I have sent them an Email in case they have the Library of these Docs.

Thank you

Phil

Not exactly what you're after, perhaps, but there's a "BR(S) Carriage Working Notice Western District Steam Trains 12/9/1960" in the Library of the Southern Railways Group  ........ you are a member, aren't you !!?!

• RMweb Premium

SRG. I had investigated that group, however I am not worthy and so I am not a member.

I have that particular Notice, from another source, but thank you for mentioning it.

It is, unfortunately, for the winter timetable and I would be wanting summer timetable stuff as far as is possible.

P  

Edited by Mallard60022

SRG. I had investigated that group, however I am not worthy and so I am not a member.

I have that particular Notice, from another source, but thank you for mentioning it.

It is, unfortunately, for the winter timetable and I would be wanting summer timetable stuff as far as is possible.

P  

Anyone's worthy of joining the Southern Railways Group ....... unless they have interests in the Great Way Round of course .................... we don't bite !

• RMweb Premium

Anyone's worthy of joining the Southern Railways Group ....... unless they have interests in the Great Way Round of course .................... we don't bite !

Is it still OK if I allow WR diversions and ex LNER coaches on my layout and read stuff about such things?

Phil

Is it still OK if I allow WR diversions and ex LNER coaches on my layout and read stuff about such things?

Phil

So long as your WR diversions aren't too wide over cylinders, no problem ! ....... ex LNER coaches, no problem ( especially green-painted Buffet Cars ) ! .................. London Midland through workings off the S.& D. would be fine too ! 

Lots of Southern locos wore blinkers - but I don't think many S.R.G. members do !