Display Cabinet / Photo plank

mopar

I have recently inherited an IKEA display case. (son and heir has redecorated his room and has declared it surplus to requirements) It has great potential, as laid on it's side it will give me 1580mm interior length, 170mm depth and 330mm height.

Plus when the door is closed it will keep dust at bay.

I have briefly offered up a couple of lengths of flexi and it looks like I have enough depth for two tracks.

What would you model?

I am leaning towards urban grime on brick arches with maybe a lower level track halfway along.

Perhaps the suggestion of the end of a platform at one end.post-12337-0-34446200-1533507171_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have recently inherited an IKEA display case. (son and heir has redecorated his room and has declared it surplus to requirements) It has great potential, as laid on it's side it will give me 1580mm interior length, 170mm depth and 330mm height.

Plus when the door is closed it will keep dust at bay.

I have briefly offered up a couple of lengths of flexi and it looks like I have enough depth for two tracks.

What would you model?

I am leaning towards urban grime on brick arches with maybe a lower level track halfway along.

Perhaps the suggestion of the end of a platform at one end.attachicon.gif20180801_185729.jpg

5 feet is maybe enough to go for industrial grime at one end, fading into greenery and countryside at the other?

Then you have the best of both worlds to choose from when taking photos.

JM2PW.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your  tuppence worth, all input is appreciated.

I have decided to go for a rear  high level track with a lower track in the front. The rear will run the full length and the front may well end

3/4 of the way along.

I think I will try the laser etched arches from LCut. They look to be good value.

It will go on the wall of my home office where the canvas is at present, the camera angle makes it look really long, but the canvas measures 6' x 4' so it fits quite nicely between the end wall and the shelves.

post-12337-0-43867100-1535315160_thumb.jpg

Edited by mopar
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

It's been a while....

The cabinet in question is now wall mounted, and currently serves as a simple display case for various items of rolling stock.

The old saying ' You can't see the wood for the trees' has never rung so true.

I have just been seeing it as a cabinet that hangs on the wall.

It took a recent couple of articles in Model Rail for me to see that I've been looking at it all the wrong way.

Build a layout that you can remove from the cabinet to operate, then replace when done.

It will look like a Google Earth picture when in there. Stored vertically.

Just need to decide on rural or urban.

20181007_153635.jpg

• Like 1