Bachmann 37-058 5 Plank Wagon

Hum!

This is all sounding very familiar! To my responses enquiring about a Bachmann GWR 5 plank

Why do they keep doing this to us, we get fine detailed models of locos and coaches but wagons get with any old paint job as if it dosen't matter

• RMweb Gold

Well, you can at least improve things in terms of paint jobs; you have to with kits anyway.  I get much more irritated by incorrect chassis details; to be fair, they have improved a lot over the last decade or so with new releases, but Hornby and Dapol are still persisting in pushing out mineral wagons without the right wheelbase, never mind the other details; this means the bodies are the wrong size as well and cannot be transferred to chassis of the correct length.  Thankfully Bachmann and Oxford come to the rescue.

There is a long and disreputable history of this; Triang, now Hornby, developed a coach bogie for it's under scale length 9 inch mk1 coaches back in 1958 I think, a very good plastic moulding that is pretty much to scale.  It was used under their scale length mk1s a few years later, but immediately disgraced itself by appearing under the Southern 'Utility Van' for which is was completely incorrect even to my eyes (I was 6 at the time), then later beneath Triang Hornby's Colletts, Thompsons, and Staniers, not that they were anything to write home about to begin with.  

The aforementioned 9" coaches had highly inaccurate underframes which were not even a chassis, just a moulding riveted under the floor (this was years before BR did the same thing with the mk2s); this also found it's way under the Utility Van.  A generic chassis 'did' for all the 4 wheel goods wagons, and Hornby Dublo did the same; Triang's sat to their standard height above the rails with was about a scale foot higher than scale height or anyone else's; this persisted well into Triang Hornby days and was very annoying; why deliberately make something wrong when it's just as easy to get it right!

Triang were capable of good modelling when they bothered; the GW plate frame bogies on the Murgatroyd's chlorine tanker were excellent, and the scale length mk1s were very good for their day.  The 3MT tank was pretty good above the footplate, but a joke below it, and the Brush Type 2 diesel very close to scale and not at all a bad moulding for it's day.  So why persist for so long with the stumpy toy Princess?  HD were no better, never producing a decent to scale A4 or Duchess, or anything but stumpy toy coaches, but some of their 'super detail' plastic wagon bodies, still being churned out by Dapol in some cases, were not too bad if you put a decent chassis under them.

• RMweb Premium

Hum!

This is all sounding very familiar! To my responses enquiring about a Bachmann GWR 5 plank

Why do they keep doing this to us, we get fine detailed models of locos and coaches but wagons get with any old paint job as if it dosen't matter

I have already answered this in another thread.

Basically a while ago Bachmann stopped producing 'big 4' liveried open wagons precisely because as you observe they had no accurate product available.

However they then publicly  said they started receiving requests from railway modellers wanting to know what had happened to the 'big 4' wagons Bachmann used to do - so to satisfy this demand Bachmann took the step of putting 'big 4' liveries on some of their private owner wagons. Bachmann said at the time they were fully awere that these wagons were fictitious and were not trying to hide that fact.

• Like 1

...This is all sounding very familiar! To my responses enquiring about a Bachmann GWR 5 plank

The choice in RTR OO general merchandise opens is a curious one.

Oxford offer a decent LNER six plank model.

Hornby have an ex-Airfix GMR five plank model, a fair representation of what was built in the late 1930s for all the big 4 (skillful choice!) but Hornby often fail to livery it correctly and certainly don't promote it as they might.

Bachmann produce a useful selection of the LNER and BR 'High Steel' designs and the BR shock absorbing designs.

Something of a mystery to me how it is the LNER gets most of the love, even acknowledging that they were the second of the major contributors to the common user merchanidse wagon fleet. You'd a thunk one of the most numerous of the lot from the LMS would have got a look in somewhere!

I have already answered this in another thread.

ct[/u][/b].

I know you did Phil....that will be why I said that this question and it's answers sound familiar!

Still off to railwells tomorrow amongst items required is to see if paul Dunn still is selling the dregs of the range to pick up some sides for cross kitting like last year

Edited by Graham456