RMweb

N gauge micro goods yard

Guest Saltburn

Guest Saltburn

These micro layouts can be very addictive! I'm on my 5th this year already.

Luke I have looked back at your different layouts and everyone is modelled brilliantly with loads of eye catching little diorama which make a huge difference.:)

Luke I have looked back at your different layouts and everyone is modelled brilliantly with loads of eye catching little diorama which make a huge difference.:)

I do like micro layouts, but it's easy to get carried away and build too many. This thread is making me want to build another one... :)

The scenery looks like it's coming along nicely and I like the sandpaper for the road.

Guest Saltburn

I do like micro layouts, but it's easy to get carried away and build too many. This thread is making me want to build another one... :)

The scenery looks like it's coming along nicely and I like the sandpaper for the road.

Hi Danny thanks for your comments as it's nice to know I am going in the right direction.:)

Guest Saltburn

A little more progress today on the micro goods yard. Hill areas painted brown today before I start the grass work later this week as you can see the road and loading area has the main base coat on and it looks great going to dry brush and weather the road tomorrow. The ballasting I will do when retaining wall is in place but still plenty to be going on witn.

post-34071-0-55652900-1534347997_thumb.jpgpost-34071-0-64940200-1534348012_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saltburn

A little more progress today on the micro goods yard. Hill areas painted brown today before I start the grass work later this week as you can see the road and loading area has the main base coat on and it looks great going to dry brush and weather the road tomorrow. The ballasting I will only do when I get the main low relief goods canopy building towards the end of the month but still plenty to be going on witn.

rsz_20180815_163158.jpg rsz_20180815_163210.jpg

And suddenly the layout begins to come alive with colours! Nice colour choice - I've seen some layouts that use Matt or overly dark colouring but you've got it spot on.

Guest Saltburn

And suddenly the layout begins to come alive with colours! Nice colour choice - I've seen some layouts that use Matt or overly dark colouring but you've got it spot on.

Thanks Luke for your comments they mean a lot to someone who has just started railway modelling more colour hopefully tomorrow if my pipettes arrive so I have a way of adding the 50/50 mix of pva,water and a drop of liquid.:)

Guest Saltburn

Some more progress today on my micro goods yard the grass work is complete and it looks really well just need to add tufts and static grass once it's had time to dry properly. The goods yard is looking much better with some weathering, all to add is some odd bits of grass within in yard area. All in all looking great.

post-34071-0-79438700-1534436397_thumb.jpgpost-34071-0-11723000-1534436409_thumb.jpg

Guest Saltburn

Looks really good. The sand paper road has come out very well. What are you thinking for the back of the layout?

Luke thanks for your comments the back of the layout i am putting a retaining wall with a disused walkway on top. Once I get it in place a can start the ballasting.

Edited by Saltburn

Guest Saltburn

Grass looks great and the road is nicely painted.

Thanks Danny for you comments once I add some tufts of grass on the road surface it will bring it to life.:)

Guest Saltburn

Some more progress today on my micro goods yard the retaining wall has been fitted in place then painted with a slate grey waited until it dried and a black wash was applied and it makes the stone work stand out more. Tomorrow I will dry brush some white onto the stone work to make it more weathered.post-34071-0-21873500-1534612137_thumb.jpgpost-34071-0-08918900-1534612417_thumb.jpg

Excellent work, it's coming on nicely. I noticed it a while back, but I love the row of empty sleepers; are they supposed to represent lifted track, or just a spares pile? They're very effective either way.

I would suggest adding some greenery to the gap between the sections, although it depends on how much of the wall is going to be hidden behind the warehouse. You might have been about to do that anyway, I think it's the oldest trick in the book! Good work so far.

Guest Saltburn

Looks good. You might want to try light grey rather than white though.

Thanks Danny for your comments I have some light grey so I will utilise that instead.

Guest Saltburn

Thanks TechnicArrow for your nice comments the sleepers are abandoned but still more weathering and undergrowth to put around them. Great minds think alike as I plan to hide the joins in the wall once I get round to doing that bit.

Guest Saltburn

Hi today i finished the dry brushing on the retaining wall and it has turned out great, as you can see there is now another road infront of the wall as I changed my mind about having a goods building. Instead I will have a grounded van and a coal lorry as sometimes coal was dumped beside the line. Still some more grass work and folliage to complete and also a crane to sort out for the goods yard area. I have also made a wooden crossing still to weather.

post-34071-0-65772100-1534690843_thumb.jpeg

post-34071-0-65772100-1534690843_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Guest Saltburn

I like the crossing and the wall. The dry brushing has brought out the individual stones nicely without overdoing it.

Hi Danny thanks for suggesting the lighter grey it’s worked really well,the crossing still needs a little weathering but all in all it’s taking shape nicely.:)

Guest Saltburn

That stone wall looks fantastic! The dry brush you did is very effective and I can't wait to see what you do next! The sky is your limit (well if your doing your backscene next it might be ;) )

Hi Luke thanks for the nice comments I’m planning on painting my own backscene which will be my first venture into this. A sky theme will be a possibility.:)

Guest Saltburn

Hi little bit of an update managed to finish the grass work and weathering the road at the back of the layout still need to finish the area where coal will be dumped. As you can see my truck has arrived and I made my telegraph poleI think it turned out really well. More to follow but here are some pictures.:)

post-34071-0-11495800-1534774268_thumb.jpeg

post-34071-0-94133500-1534774308_thumb.jpeg

post-34071-0-98146600-1534774350_thumb.jpeg

Guest Saltburn

On my cake box I just did sky but I'm not sure how that would look here - probably needs something else between the sky and retaining wall.

Thanks Danny I’m thinking of a cloudy scene with some hand painted tree tops.;)