N gauge micro goods yard

Guest Saltburn

Guest Saltburn

I was going to build an N gauge quarry but changed my mind and now I am building an N gauge micro goods yard. The goods yard will have the following items.

Scenecraft low relief good building. The front left corner will be a small grasses embankment area.

Goods crane.

Hut or office.

Lorry.

03 diesel loco.

2 wagons.

Grounded van.

Various goods items.

Scenery, ballast and foilage.

Here is a picture of my progress.

post-34071-0-85712200-1533990603_thumb.jpgpost-34071-0-28997900-1533990615_thumb.jpg

Guest Saltburn

Looks interesting so far. Looks like you're going to build up the ground on the left side.

Thanks Danny yes the left side will be built up and fenced so I can add some sheep. The backboard will house the scenecraft goods building. Will lay the foundation for the grassed area tomorrow..

Guest Saltburn

The end of the back siding is almost near enough to the other side to do it as a modular layout with potential for another board later on...

Just sticking with the one level Danny. Looking forward to building the hill section tomorrow.;)

Guest Saltburn

It would be on the same level but would allow you to add a second board if you wanted to later. But as a self-contained layout it's very nice as well.

Sorry Danny i understand now what you mean I left enough so if I do want to add another board the track can be joined to the point..

Guest Saltburn

Promising! Interesting to build on a square board. I also like the possibility of adding further, similar boards to have a "modular", rearrangeable layout. I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks for your comments I'm looking forward to my first build.:)

Guest Saltburn

This morning I finished building the hill area and also added a little mound within the layout. Next job will be to give a coat of matt brown paint to the areas mentioned once they have had time to dry..

post-34071-0-44392600-1534058957_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saltburn

If you placed a single track behind that currently in place, could you - using a plug-in fiddle stick - not turn the layout into an inglenook? Perhaps a 3-2-2, adding larger operating potential?

Looks a good start however.

Guest Saltburn

If you placed a single track behind that currently in place, could you - using a plug-in fiddle stick - not turn the layout into an inglenook? Perhaps a 3-2-2, adding larger operating potential?

Looks a good start however.

Chris thanks for your comments it's definitely an idea i can use but the area behind the track is for a low relief goods building.:)

Chris thanks for your comments it's definitely an idea i can use but the area behind the track is for a low relief goods building.:)

I quite like the track plan as it's sometimes good to leave room for scenery and not crowd things too much (although I also like Chris's idea of fitting an inglenook in the space but possibly one for another time). Can I ask what's going in the space in the front right corner?

Guest Saltburn

Hi Danny thanks for your comments i decided to make another small grassed area as my hut will be located there.Managed to start weathering the track but needs a little more work tomorrow. Laid some sleeps as though a track was there once will look great once ballast and grass is applied. Still loads of work to do.

post-34071-0-36753300-1534102778_thumb.jpg

post-34071-0-36753300-1534102778_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saltburn

Guest Saltburn

Evening i managed to get some work done on the goods yard today. Firstly I received my scalecraft tin line side hut but I'm not sure if it's the right way round if someone could help. Secondly butter stops arrived and fitted. As you can see the plaster is complete on the hill section ready for painting. Finished the track weathering aswell. Couple of pictures of the progress today.

post-34071-0-21364200-1534177115_thumb.jpgpost-34071-0-11428700-1534177128_thumb.jpgpost-34071-0-80472800-1534177141_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Saltburn

Looking good. The landscape looks very natural and not too steep. Are those 009 buffer stops?

Luke thanks for your comments i have enjoyed the landscaping nice and messy but loads of fun. The buffer stops are 009 gauge and fit my N gauge track nicely I don't know if it's right to use them but they look great to me but I am just learning.:)

Luke thanks for your comments i have enjoyed the landscaping nice and messy but loads of fun. The buffer stops are 009 gauge and fit my N gauge track nicely I don't know if it's right to use them but they look great to me but I am just learning.:)

they suit the layout very well I think and give it a nice run down look. A bit off the grid as well with them being a rough wood not a standard rail design (I don't actually know much about buffers myself ;) )

Guest Saltburn

they suit the layout very well I think and give it a nice run down look. A bit off the grid as well with them being a rough wood not a standard rail design (I don't actually know much about buffers myself ;) )

Thanks Luke i do like them myself something different that looks right.

Guest Saltburn

Although they're 009 I think the buffer stops look good. However, I don't know if the planks might be slightly too wide and if they'll be high compared to N gauge stock.

Hi Danny thanks for the comments I'm just waiting for some wagons arriving and hopefully I can kit bash the buffers slightly if needs arrise. Today I have laid some sandpaper to form the road surface and will need painting and weathering.:)

Guest Saltburn

Latest update to my micro layout build. I have used the idea a couple of other members have to use sandpaper for the road area and it's turned out really well. Will look just right once painted and weathered.I'm tackling the grass work tomorrow.:)

post-34071-0-61737200-1534251108_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saltburn

Latest update to my micro layout build. I have used the idea a couple of other members have to use sandpaper for the road area and it's turned out really well. Will look just right once painted and weathered.I'm tackling the grass work tomorrow.:)

rsz_20180814_133142.jpg

Nice use of the sandpaper. I find that it's a really cheap and tidy way to get a very fine dirt texture so I quite like to use it for that purpose. Will there be a fiddle yard to go with this layout or will it just be a diroama?

Guest Saltburn

Nice use of the sandpaper. I find that it's a really cheap and tidy way to get a very fine dirt texture so I quite like to use it for that purpose. Will there be a fiddle yard to go with this layout or will it just be a diroama?

Luke thanks for your comments I'm pleased you asked the question and the answer is yes there will be another board build which will mainly be the fiddle yard. I have definitely caught the railway modelling bug.:)