The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Tap isolator failures

34theletterbetweenB&D

So much for the bright idea of isolators to make subsequent repairs to taps and valves and replacement of plumbed in appliances easier. Just seen the second failure from a total of eighteen installed fifteen years ago. It had been dripping away for some time between today (which is close and reopen all tap isolators day) and this time last year (close and reopen tap isolator day)  Materials not up to standard for hard water areas is my suspicion. Not impressed. The good old 'Supatap' self isolating design is still working on the 60 year old pair of taps in the downstairs WC. Glad I insisted those could be left unmeddled with.

• RMweb Gold

If they are the couple of quid, if that much, screwdriver isolators, you've done well for them to last as long as they have.

Far better quality isolators are available at a more sensible price, and will do the job for longer.

If it's the hard water doing them no favours, then I would respectfully suggest you sort that problem out whilst you're at it.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Not necessarily this exact one, although I would recommend it being Pegler, but try and find a similar one and check to see if it has Teflon seats, this prevents scale interfacing between the the body and barrel.

https://www.pegleryorkshire.co.uk/EN/Brands/Pegler/Ball_Valves/Compression_Ballvalves/product/PB300T_Chromium_Plated_Brass_Full_Bore_Ball_Valve_Blue_T_Handle_PN16

Mike.

Edited to add link!

Edited by Enterprisingwestern