Shapeways versatile plastic (nylon) : why no ABS plastic option ?

I have received my GWR Cordon from Shapeways which was printed in versatile plastic (nylon). I was surprised at how rough the surface is but I am hoping that it will not be as noticeable after painting. Is there any reason that they do not print in ABS plastic ? This is what I intend to do eventually when I get my own printer because I can then use acetone for surface smoothing. What sort of glues work best with nylon ?

The versatile plastic(nylon) is printed using sinter(?) process, which does not need the extra supports other printed plastics require. The nylon is very file dust, one reason it ends up with a grainy surface, as it tends to stick to surface during cooling period in machine.. Rub it down with decent wet/dry(green)sand paper. Nothing else will touch it, and then paint. Any water based paint(even low cost pain pots of emulsion paint) can be used but once it gets at all wet it can harden and can be even more difficult to smooth down.

This plastic will stick easily to any paper, card or wood using cheap liquid superglue, Some have found that it will bond to other plastics. I think traditional plastics glue will soften the hard plastic just enough so it soaks into the nylon , which will soak up any liquid.