Manning Wardle Cab photos

jdb82

This may be a bit of a long shot, but does anyone know where I might find any photos of the inside of the cab, particularly the back head, of a Manning Wardle L Class? I’m currently building one, and have a number of external photos, but none of inside the cab.

A Google search gleaned limited results, and nothing that was definitely from an L Class.

Any suggestions, or indeed photos, would be great fully received!

Many thanks,

John

Have a look for photos of Sir Berkeley MW built in 1890's. From rear as it's just got a weather board you have an open cab.

Alternatively when I'm next at the railway I could try to get photos of the inside of MW 1601/1903 Matthew Murray. The other week some of the fittings have been removed from Sir B as we are in the process of overhauling it.

From memory there are two sight glasses, two injectors, regulator above warming tray above fire hole.

Depending upon the L there are different bunker designs inside the cab. Sir B has a curve to create a D shape whereas MM is straight.

Rear springs protruding into cab floor space

• Like 1

Note that the control knobs are just T shaped on the earlier locomotives such as Sir B whereas they are normal wheels on Matthew.

As mentioned earlier the rear springs can be nasty on the ankles especially the split pins.

Sir B has older style safety valves which are the two polished items above the regulator.

Have a look for photos of Sir Berkeley MW built in 1890's. From rear as it's just got a weather board you have an open cab.

Alternatively when I'm next at the railway I could try to get photos of the inside of MW 1601/1903 Matthew Murray. The other week some of the fittings have been removed from Sir B as we are in the process of overhauling it.

From memory there are two sight glasses, two injectors, regulator above warming tray above fire hole.

Depending upon the L there are different bunker designs inside the cab. Sir B has a curve to create a D shape whereas MM is straight.

Rear springs protruding into cab floor space

Glad your photo has been of some use! Thanks for posting it :-) And of Matthew Murray too. This is much more similar to Bamburgh (my model) that Sir Berkley in that it has a completely enclosed cab. I had enlisted the help of my dad, as Matthew Murray had been on loan to Elsecar, which is just round the corner from where he lives. Unfortunately it had been taken back up to Middleton by the time he got there....

Interesting that both have a brass 'rim' between the backhead and firebox wall. That should be fun to paint! Bunker design provided with the kit is fine for my prototype :-)

Thanks for your help!

John

Note that the control knobs are just T shaped on the earlier locomotives such as Sir B whereas they are normal wheels on Matthew.

As mentioned earlier the rear springs can be nasty on the ankles especially the split pins.

Sir B has older style safety valves which are the two polished items above the regulator.

Good spot on the handles/knobs - I hadn't noticed that. Any photos of inside the cab of Matthew Murray would be greatly appreciated next time you're up there - many thanks!!

MM is sat in a dark work shop at present. There is very little light, I was going to get some photos but the mobile was complaining due to the illumination.

Driver stands on the right if you have back to the bunker. To the right of the firebox is the reversing lever, painted red.

Round handles are four spoked on the controls for the injectors.

Bunker on this locomotive in the cab is straight then bends in at about 45° before straightening and then mirrored. Each angled plate has alift up coal hole.

MM is sat in a dark work shop at present. There is very little light, I was going to get some photos but the mobile was complaining due to the illumination.

Driver stands on the right if you have back to the bunker. To the right of the firebox is the reversing lever, painted red.

Round handles are four spoked on the controls for the injectors.

Bunker on this locomotive in the cab is straight then bends in at about 45° before straightening and then mirrored. Each angled plate has alift up coal hole.

Thanks AMJ, that’s really helpful :-)