STORMEx - 7th August 2010 - Waltham St. Lawrence, Berkshire

Pixie

Looks like a great day out, sorry I couldn't make it - will see what I can do for next year though.

I wonder whether the fact it seems so well received is that it was quite "specific" era-wise rather than trying to cover "something for everyone"?

I wonder whether the fact it seems so well received is that it was quite "specific" era-wise rather than trying to cover "something for everyone"?

I certainly didn't get that feeling.. but then I do appreciate almost any layout of any era ... even if I would have liked to have seen Morfa backdated that is only a "wonder how it would have looked" it twas still outstanding just as it was.

Roath did leave the impression of work in progress - but a note in the memory that the progress will be well worth following.

There was certainly a great deal of overheard talk of RMWeb - though I think I managed to retain my cloak of anonymity and avoided cracking the cameras.

Just shows how intently I was looking at the layouts - I didn't even realise there was a public gallery.

I am a bit disappointed that there will be a venue change next year. I felt the hall worked very well for the size of the show and the numbers attending ... and of course it was very easy (for me) to get to.

Once again, thank you for all the kind comments gents. It's very good to hear that you all had a good time and we were doing something right - it was quite a big gamble into new, unknown waters so hearing that people enjoyed themselves is a very good feeling.

I think it's swings and roundabouts - those who were into D&E modelling probably travelled further than they would for a generic show, but those who are local and into other things might not have turned out. It'd be nice if the latter had come along anyway to gain some inspiration (as Kenton mentioned) but I'm not sure sure that they all would.

I didn't even realise there was a public gallery.

Hehe - there wasn't really it was where all the chairs and tables had come from!

I've got quite a good one of your right hand (with shunting pole I hasten to add) but you might not like folk to have a close-up of your finger nails laugh.gif

All true, hard-working men have dirty finger nails - although I agree with you that the RMweb should be spared from viewing mine!

Pix

Just thought I'd add my positive thoughts too.....

Great show - well done Mr Pixie!

And special thanks to all those involved in serving food & drinks

(glad I nabbed the spot next to the serving hatch he he!).

It seems that the smaller shows, where the layouts have been hand-picked are definately worth a trip.

Although much smaller, this was up the re with this years DEMU for me...

Can't wait for the next show.

Good to meet up with other DEMU folk too, and to meet up with Craig Welsh and Chris f.

Had a good chat with Dave Tailby too - Wish "Saxlingham" had been there....

...go on - invite him for next year!

Cheers

Marc

Plans for Next years show in the Severn valley have taken a big step forward. This week I booked the Venue which is a lot larger than Neville Hall. however on the fact we just about broke even this year (and we've got a bigger venue) we've only got the hall for the day. but having said that provisionally we've already got about 8 layouts for it and a DCC "clinic" which will be situated by the refreshment area (with multiple scale test plank)

Once all finalised I'll put up a new thread on here to let you all know :)

Just to add what others have already said on an excellent day out, well done to all those involved and those that attended, hope you all found it worthwhile. Certainly looking forward to next years show, which for me will be rather closerwink.gif .

Thank you for all those that past their compliments on during the day and on this thread, sorry I cant remember all your names, getting the wrong side of young nowadaysbiggrin.gif .

I'm now carrying out some more work that had been planned for the layout, along with a few more ideas, so their will be a few subtle changes for its next outing.

One thing that suprised me, is that I was the only layout still operating in valve mode and no DCC trickery. DCC certainly seems to be the route taken by the younger modellers nowadays.

Steam on the layout? not something that would happen for a while yet, but I can see the layout being backdated a couple of years, perhaps more towards then end of it career.

Cheers

Trevor

• 4 weeks later...

As a final point on STORMEx 2010 - the numbers have been totted up and I'm very pleased to say that way made a wee profit. This means it's full steam ahead for next years show and (I hope) the future of the show.

To all the exhibitors, helpers, punters and well wishers, I'd just like to say thank you.

See you next year,

Pix

Archived