Scrathbuilding 4mm L&Y class 27 0-6-0

I've built the odd craftsman class 27 0-6-0 tender loco ( a nice kit to build ) but since they have disappeared and the ones you do see go for silly money. I thought I would try and scratch build one (or 2), I've been inspired by Mike Edge and sej's of this parish.  Sej has done a book and his topic on how to Scratch build locos (very good book ). 

I will be using brass and the first thing to do is do a template and to draw on the brass, I will be putting pics on as I go.

Mark

Why make the template? Why not draw straight onto the brass? Try nickle silver instead of brass it solders and paints much better.

Nice to see you having a go, scratch building is often easier than making kits. As you do not need to figure out what the designer had intended. Plus there's only one person to blame if a part does not fit,none of this is it them or me business.

• Like 1

Guest Lyonesse

Congratulations on having a go.  At the sheet metal shop in Rolls-Royce technical college we were taught to make a template first before marking out the final part on Alclad, so you're in good company.  That said, I find I get a cleaner result by scribing direct onto the final sheet, having first trued up a straight edge, or a right angled pair of straight edges to mark out from.  You'll find the marker pen rubs off all too easily, so scribe well.  And as N15class says, nickel silver is easier to work and solder.  For steps, and the like, which have to be folded cleanly, tinplate is good.

The reason I have done a template is, I might if this one comes out ok build  another one. I have built a few kits and modified a few rtr locos but this is some thing I wanted to do years ago, But never had the guts to do it until now.

Mark

If you are thinking of making two cut out two sets of parts. You only need to mark it once, if you tack the number of sheets together. 2 for footplates, 4 for cab side sheets etc. The body parts cost next to nothing compared to the castings, motor and wheels etc. So even if left in a drawer for a year won't tie up lots of money.

• Like 3