Coaches & Formations 1960s

ThomasScott

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Probably as soon as the Rule Book compilers realised that all passenger stock was through braked.

You often see pictures from the 60s with a brake at each end but not sure if this was mandatory

You often see pictures from the 60s with a brake at each end but not sure if this was mandatory

I very much doubt it - probably for convenience so the guard - and, more importantly, the platform staff - knew where the van was likely to be. Though the Southern Railway were very much wedded to the concept of fixed formation Sets even those didn't always have a van at each end ( eg TK + BCK ) or had the van 'reversed' with the passenger end outermost .......... and there are plenty of photos showing 'swingers' hung on the rear of a set : often a TK or TO or two.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 07/09/2018 at 15:52, TheSignalEngineer said:

At that time it was common for up to 2 coaches to be 'Outside the Brake', especially strengtheners when extra traffic was expected.

my understanding was you were allowed “20 Wheels” outside the brake.

I believe the change to remove the restriction was done post steam.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I reckon it was after Summer '62 that the smart Train Formations, as on The Royal Duchy etc. were sort of dropped and any old mix of stock would appear at times? Memory could be hazy here as I gave up regular spotting in Plymouth around the end of regular steam, late '64, early '65.

Phil