Running line to loop signal

don9f

Hi, I am building a 5 inch gauge semaphore signal that hopefully will be reasonably to scale, that comprises a BR/LMS style tubular post, carrying main Stop & Distant semaphores, plus a LH bracket carrying a subsidiary Stop signal for the loop line. I have found a photo of a prototype that I’m modelling and some drawings of the same type of signal that give basic dimensions.

Unfortunately neither the photo, or the drawings give much detail of the actual bracket, and I don’t think I’m going to find the dimensions I want on the internet!

Hence my question is could anyone help with any drawings, showing details of the construction of the bracket for this BR/LMS type of signal?

Thanks for any help....

Cheers Don

post-30485-0-23502900-1535303528.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

I wish that I had the knowledge to be able to give you chapter and verse, but I don't

However, there are a couple of threads detailing semaphore signal building

Here   http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59687-semaphore-signals-4mm-scale-mainly/

and here  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11497-jon-fitness-average-7mm-signals-workbench/

which both will have something similar to what you are building. Perhaps a read through or search of each topic will give you the answers.

Whilst not specificaly to your scale, even if dimensions are not specified, I am sure that one or ther would be more than happy to help with suggestions and advice.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks very much for that info. I’ve seen some of the 7mm scale signals you refer to and they are very good.....obviously drawings of the full size must have been available.

I can probably make something that looks close to the real thing from what I’ve already got but it would be good to know the dimensions of the steel angle and plates etc. that were used, plus how the “floor” of the platform was made and held.

Cheers Don

The book LMS signals may be what you're after.

https://www.billhudsontransportbooks.co.uk/selected-product.php?prod=a+pictorial+record+of+l.m.s+signals&pid=2385

The distant in the photo is fixed at caution

Thanks, I have actually just ordered that book....I’ve been reading the first 16 pages of one of the threads referenced above and it was mentioned there!

Cheers Don

Are you wedded to scratch building Don?

Model Signal Engineering (MSE) will have the parts for sure...

Phil

Hi Phil, thanks for the suggestion but my signal is for a 5 inch gauge railway (1 1/16 inch or 27mm to the foot) and don’t think MSE do that scale?

I am awaiting a few castings for the main & subsidiary spectacles, lamps & brackets which are available from a supplier I know (quite pricy) but the rest will be scratch built.

Cheers Don

Looking forward to following the build.

Please keep us posted!

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian, I can do that with pleasure if anyone is interested.....I presume it would be best to either move this thread or start a new one in a more appropriate section?

I want to thank you for pointing me to the two threads you referred to above, I have been absorbing loads of info from them and obviously take my hat off to those two lads who have been beavering away for so long producing all those wonderful model signals! But it’s also the wealth of knowledge that comes with these threads and photos etc. from other contributors. Most of my working life was spent on the railways but not with signalling, but this “aspect” (sorry about that) has always been of great interest to me!

Also, Amazon have played a blinder and having ordered the book last night suggested by beast66606 above, it was delivered today (Bank Holiday Monday) at 14:15!

So, I still haven’t quite got all I need but certainly hope to make a start soon. The signal as stated, is for a 5 inch gauge railway that I’m involved with and is to replace an existing one that hasn’t got the subsidiary or miniature arm.

It will be fully functional using servos to operate the arms but may not have all the scale weightbars and slotting etc. down the post but the rest is intended to “look the part”.

Cheers Don

• Like 1