Something for a wet afternoon?

shortliner

With Autumn heaving rapidly over the horizon and into view, this is something to savour on a wet afternoon when you have no honey-do's, things waiting your attention on the workbench, and nothing better to do - I came across it today (looking for something else) having saved it some time ago. A rather interesting concept - and there is a huge supply of links on the right-hand side. Enjoy!

https://princestreet.wordpress.com/2018/06/10/back-to-the-matchbox/

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

With Autumn heaving rapidly over the horizon and into view, this is something to savour on a wet afternoon when you have no honey-do's, things waiting your attention on the workbench, and nothing better to do - I came across it today (looking for something else) having saved it some time ago. A rather interesting concept - and there is a huge supply of links on the right-hand side. Enjoy!

https://princestreet.wordpress.com/2018/06/10/back-to-the-matchbox/

Thanks for sharing this Jack. I think it is an absolutely ingenious idea and something I have never thought of or even seen before! The concept of a 'drawer' arrangement to a fiddle yard is such a space saver.... the challenge would be in ensuring a smooth mechanism, so it could be easily slid in and out for an operating session. Storage would be easy.

Definitely gives food for thought when planning a micro layout and I would love to see if the concept works in real life!

Thanks for sharing this Jack. I think it is an absolutely ingenious idea and something I have never thought of or even seen before! The concept of a 'drawer' arrangement to a fiddle yard is such a space saver.... the challenge would be in ensuring a smooth mechanism, so it could be easily slid in and out for an operating session. Storage would be easy.

Definitely gives food for thought when planning a micro layout and I would love to see if the concept works in real life!

Department of lateral thinking thoughts on this - the "extension track" is attached to a piece of material the same thickness as the baseboard top,  suitably sized to fit inside the drawer - the drawer is pulled out completely and the "extension" removed, the drawer is turned over and put back into its space in the "pulled out" position, and the track on its base placed on what is now the top. Track is now at the same height as the track on the baseboard and can have a couple of rail connectors on one end for power

• Like 1

Department of lateral thinking thoughts on this - the "extension track" is attached to a piece of material the same thickness as the baseboard top, suitably sized to fit inside the drawer - the drawer is pulled out completely and the "extension" removed, the drawer is turned over and put back into its space in the "pulled out" position, and the track on its base placed on what is now the top. Track is now at the same height as the track on the baseboard and can have a couple of rail connectors on one end for power

That sounds sensible Jack. I would love to see a mock up or real life prototype. If it can work it will offer such a great space saving opportunity!

The key of the drawer idea is that the drawer remains in place and provides a place for the cassette and the trains to hide between operating sessions. As you suspected, the drawer is opened to reveal its contents. It isn't opened fully so it provides a place over which to rest the cassette and the cassette itself is clipped onto the layout and bridges over the now opened drawer. In theory, you could even pre-load these with the complete trains.

Last year, I presented the simpler version of the idea in this post:

https://princestreet.wordpress.com/2017/06/21/matchbox-part-2/

Thank you for sharing this here in the forum. I feel so flattered to see my simply little sketches in a place where so many great things happen.

Chris