Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

New to O-Gauge - some initial queries.

Art Dent

Hello folks,

As a new entrant to the world of O-Gauge (aka 'Senior Scale' :D) I have a question regarding suitable power supplies for DCC-equipped locos.

think I know the answer to this but there's never a daft question if you don't know!

I have a NCE PowerCab throttle and power supply board which I use with my OO-Gauge locos.

This will be OK to use with O-gauge won't it? (obviously not at the same time!)

Assuming I am correct and it will, how many sound-fitted O-gauge locos can the PowerCab system handle? I'm looking at 3 sound-equipped locos 'running' at maximum plus some colour-light signals and up to 3 points with 'Tortoise' type 'stall' motors on a 6ft x 2ft plank (possibly running up to 10ft).

I'm not planning on running any large Heljan double-motor locos, nor hauling anything heavy and if needs be I have a (currently unused) NCE SB5 Smart Booster.

Thanks in advance,

Art

Thank you Simom and F-Unit

The 'basic' NCE Powercab is only 1.2 or 1.5 Amps output I seem to recall. I played safe and bought an NCE SB5a Smart Booster to go with it when I went DCC with my American O Scale stuff. Better safe than sorry. :good:

According to NCE themselves (link: https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203935645-Adding-more-power-capacity-to-the-Power-Cab ) the PowerCab shuts itself down when the current draw exceeds 3A (the current output is apparently dependent on the power supply).

The power supply supplied with the PowerCab is rated at 13.8V DC, 1.8A output.

I have a SB5 booster which I bought with the PowerCab. So far, the SB5 is unused.

Probably best to run the Dapol 08 on the PowerCab with an ammeter to see what the current draw is.

As the voltage at the rails (the output of the PCP) is not true AC but a PWM-modified AC, a digital multi-meter will not give a true reading of either the rail voltage or current, however you can monitor the DC current draw between the power supply (PSU) and the PowerCab Panel.

Cheers,

Art

Edited by Art Dent

Probably best to run the Dapol 08 on the PowerCab with an ammeter to see what the current draw is.

As the voltage at the rails (the output of the PCP) is not true AC but a PWM-modified AC, a digital multi-meter will not give a true reading of either the rail voltage or current, however you can monitor the DC current draw between the power supply (PSU) and the PowerCab Panel.

There is a built-in Amps display on the PowerCab.

I don't know how accurate it is but I can see a current draw of 0.24A just after switch-on, dropping to 0.08A after a few seconds as all 3 stay-alive locos have finished charging up.

From the main display, press "PROG ESC" 6 times, then ENTER to "SET CAB PARAMS", then press 1 for "TRK CURRENT". Use "PROG ESC" to get back to the main display after doing this.

It has an annoying habit of resetting to the time-of-day, but it's quick to change it back to track current mode.

There is a built-in Amps display on the PowerCab.

I don't know how accurate it is but I can see a current draw of 0.24A just after switch-on, dropping to 0.08A after a few seconds as all 3 stay-alive locos have finished charging up.

From the main display, press "PROG ESC" 6 times, then ENTER to "SET CAB PARAMS", then press 1 for "TRK CURRENT". Use "PROG ESC" to get back to the main display after doing this.

It has an annoying habit of resetting to the time-of-day, but it's quick to change it back to track current mode.

Ahh ... yes.  I'd forgotten about that!  Thanks for reminding me!

Art

• Like 1

Guest teacupteacup

My friend runs his exhibition layout (St Marnock) with an NCE Powercab, all loco's sound fitted (some with smoke), including double motored Heljan diesels,  Never had a problem with overloading the power supply, even running 2 HJ locos together and other loco's on shed with sound running.

Its a very capable controller

My friend runs his exhibition layout (St Marnock) with an NCE Powercab, all loco's sound fitted (some with smoke), including double motored Heljan diesels,  Never had a problem with overloading the power supply, even running 2 HJ locos together and other loco's on shed with sound running.

Its a very capable controller

That's good to know TC,  thanks

Art

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good Evening Art

I'm not the connoisseur when it comes to DCC, however, I also use the NCE power cab with a 5 amp booster & some Heljan O gauge loco's..... As for how many loco's you want it to control will depend on the software chip that you have installed in the throttle, version 1.65 will allow you to control up to 6 loco's at any one time but you will have to set these up on the throttle menu.

Originally I had a shunting layout in the garage (17'x2') layout and never had a problem. We then extended the layout to run around the garden but we did have to utilise the 5 amp booster and start to put the layout into power districts, we also utilised a Merg booster to operate numerous loco's on the layout and since installed we have not really had an issue, (weather permitted) something I then left to my colleague as he has the knowledge of the intricacies of how DCC works and what gives us the most to operating the system.

Originally we also operated tortoise points and I believe signals via the power cab but have since change this to operate the points / signals via a control panel with the help of Merg components.

If you require any further assistance I can ask him to comment on your forum page...

Jim 

• RMweb Premium

I would be surprised if you found problems with just using the PowerCab.

We've had three sound equipped twin motor Heljan locos moving around a 40 feet by 20 feet continuous layout relying on just rail joiners - i.e. no power bus - without any problems.

I'm not sure that you could control three moving locos on your own on a shunting plank whereas 3 locos of which one or two are moving plus the other's being stationary with their sound active should be easily achievable.

Hope that helps.