Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

signalling for bay platform....

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Wondered if anyone knew the most common solution for colour light signalling a train from the main to a bay platform (that doesent involve a matrix indicator)

was it......

A feather

or 

A Ground based position light signal

or

was it

a post based position light signal

The only real life example i know well is gloucester and coming from the lydney side a 3 aspect 4 feather signal seems to control all routes or atleast i think it does?

I need to order a signal from absolute aspects and im trying to decide if its a triple feather or a double feather with a post based PLS? or neither :)

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Gold

Ideally you need the ability to show both a single yellow (and some from of route indicator - feather or theatre box) or a red and calling-on signal (position light) again with some form of route indication.

The single yellow would be used to route a train into the platform when it is unoccupied, the calling-on signal is used to allow either a loco to back onto coaches already in the platform or a second unit/train into the platform when one train is already in it.

Can you give us a track plan?

Hope that helps

Andi

Hi All,

Wondered if anyone knew the most common solution for colour light signalling a train from the main to a bay platform (that doesent involve a matrix indicator)

was it......

A feather

or 

A Ground based position light signal

or

was it

a post based position light signal

The only real life example i know well is gloucester and coming from the lydney side a 3 aspect 4 feather signal seems to control all routes or atleast i think it does?

I need to order a signal from absolute aspects and im trying to decide if its a triple feather or a double feather with a post based PLS? or neither :)

Thanks in advance

The standard way is a Main Aspect Single Yellow with a route indicator for signalling into an unoccupied bay platform (assuming fully Train detected), junction Indicators are not permitted for routing into bay platforms, although they been used previously. If you want permissive working, then a position light with a miniature route indicator is required on the main signal.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

If the bay is a loop with an outlet at the far end then a single yellow with feather or some form of route indicator for approach control what ever the starter is showing.  If it is a dock - a dead-end bay - then the single yellow should have a route indicator for passenger movements into an unoccupied road.  For any moves into a partially-occupied road the main aspect would show red and a position light or calling-on aspect beneath or beside it (but not on the ground) would clear.  Older ones fitted with incandescent bulbs would show white and red horizontally for stop, two inclined whites for proceed.  Newer ones fitted with LEDs will show two horizontal reds for stop and two whites inclined as on earlier models for proceed.   

There will be exceptions.  There are always exceptions.  And there are enough locations where older methods still apply simply because there is no need or no money to renew the signalling to current standards.