Can you import pictures into Templot?

Blandford1969

• RMweb Premium

Hello all,

Forgive me for a rookie question. I am lucky to have 2 aerial photos of my station of choice and there does not need to be much compression. Is it possible within Templot to import Jpeg images (the photos) and then convert it into a diagram for building the track from. The main bit I want to do as near to the prototype is the junction where the turnouts and crossing is very long.

Thanks in advance for your help

Duncan 

• RMweb Premium

Images can be imported, although I have never managed it. I blame my old XP operating system

If you have a look on the Templot Forum here: http://85a.co.uk/forum/

there are a couple of sets of instructions.

You mght find it easier to look at the NLS website here : https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=5&lat=56.0000&lon=-4.0000&layers=101&b=1&point=0,0

and import from that. It should give you exactly the track plan you need. Old Maps.co.uk have more up do date maps but you may need to subscribe to get what you want.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold
Forgive me for a rookie question. I am lucky to have 2 aerial photos of my station of choice and there does not need to be much compression. Is it possible within Templot to import Jpeg images (the photos) and then convert it into a diagram for building the track from. The main bit I want to do as near to the prototype is the junction where the turnouts and crossing is very long.

Hi Duncan,

Yes, Templot can import background pictures and maps, and scale (resize) them to the correct size for your model.

But what do mean by "convert"? Templot can't read the image and convert it into a track plan for you. The idea is that you use it as a background guide, over which you create your track plan.

Although you already have aerial photos, you might want to let Templot make screenshots from the web for you, or maybe use maps instead of aerial images. In that case Templot can automatically resize them for you to match your model.

In Templot, click background > maps to get started:

2_050904_330000000.png

More about all this here:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3051&forum_id=1

http://templot.com/companion/get_map_from_the_web.php

bgnd_map.png

Please ask on Templot Club forum if you need help.

cheers,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
You mght find it easier to look at the NLS website and import from that.

Hi Ian,

Templot can do that for you. AND make the screenshot in the first place. AND resize it to the correct size for your model. See my previous post.

N.B. it's important to set your model scale/gauge before doing any of that.

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies gents, that is really helpful. Sadly there are no old maps of the right size, despite much looking so the RAF images will have to suffice, they were rather nice. I will have a go at doing it over the course of the next couple of weeks and let you all know how i get on. Its all quite exciting. 

best wishes

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the advice, I've got the 2 images as a background put together and am slowly learning the software which is fun, even if at times I'm getting frustrated that having finished one bit I keep on going new thinking I will add a new bit rather than what happens, which is replacing whatever I have done with the next thing I choose. 

I've also still to learn if and how I can change a turnout size, where I have chosen the wrong size 

However really enjoying the process.

• RMweb Premium

Martin and Ian, thanks for your help. After about 8 hours work i have been able to produce using the aerial photos an exactly to scale version of West Moors. Now I need to start changing the crossovers for smaller radius points to get some shortening, I just don't know what to try. However I want to keep the actual junction to scale. 

post-5625-0-29652400-1536694552_thumb.jpgpost-5625-0-29652400-1536694552_thumb.jpg

I'm not so sure why some say Templot is difficult as with a little help I was able to really get going. Just for the fun of it, I will be doing more, Thank you Martin for all the work and support you provide.

post-5625-0-24589200-1536694586_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
After about 8 hours work i have been able to produce using the aerial photos an exactly to scale version of West Moors..

Hi Duncan,

The aerial photos are great, but 8 hours!

As I explained, Templot could have done all that for you in a few clicks. Now that you have mentioned the location, here you go:

2_120410_400000000.png

That's the 25" map, which Templot captured from the NLS and rescaled to size in a few clicks -- all it needs is the location (background > maps menu item). To get accurate turnout sizes from the map it's best to set the gauge to P4 (before you start). Once you know what they are, you can recreate the plan in EM or 00.

A quick dabble with the F5 size function established the junction turnout as most likely a D-11, which is an entirely reasonable size for such a junction. I aligned the toe (blade tips) over the mark on the map, and increased the 6ft way to 7ft-6in to best match the map. Then tools > make ladder crossover > make curviform ladder gets the junction well under way:

2_120410_400000001.png

It was all quite quick. If you ask again on the Templot Club forum I can explain in more detail and maybe finish the junction and produce a bit of screen video.

cheers,

Martin.