Modelu Figures... best way to clean and prime please....

• RMweb Gold

The time has come to add figures to my loco stock............................................................................................

......................................decided to mainline with the excellent  Modelu products....but some are `sticky to the touch`

post-17779-0-54166400-1536161188_thumb.jpg

I tend to prefer enamels but am prepared to change but what do you all think about what to  clean them with prior to priming ????

Cheers

John

Modelu figures are printed in a UV curing resin, so possibly sticking them in direct sunlight for a bit will do a bit of "post curing" to the resin which should get rid of most any uncured remnants.  Then a good scrub in warm soapy water should be good, but thats more a general cleaning advice.  Certainly dont risk any solvent cleaners on these, as I dont know the material makeup and if itd cause issues.  

• RMweb Premium

As Mick above says, I’ve dipped the very few figures I’ve had with any residue into either IPA or Tamiya acrylic thinners and let them air dry. Once dry undercoat with either enamels or acrylic, with the grey material I’ve not bothered with undercoat

I haven't used any Modelu products, but Shapeways' FUD prints are similarly sticky on arrival because of the support wax used under the overhanging details. I clean these prints in water with a little dishwasher soap (not the kind with rinse aid built in, just the cheap sort), in an ultrasound tank. Two cleans of 480s with a water change in between removes all the wax. I then prime with Halford's primer (not the filler primer) and can use either acrylic or enamel paint over that once it's cured. If the primer coat is good, the thinners for enamel paint doesn't seem to cause problems.

• RMweb Premium

I haven't used any Modelu products, but Shapeways' FUD prints are similarly sticky.

Just a quick note, the Modelu items rarely come with any sticky residue, it is unusual for them to be so.