Hornby 72xx tank , washout plugs

mswjr

Hi All ,This may have been asked before so apologies if it has, I am in the process of detailing a Hornby 72xx tank loco, And it has just holes in the boiler top, where the washout plugs go, and black or green livery it looks like holes, So has anyone filled these or fitted washout plugs in them,  It looks very awkward to get to the inside of the boiler barrel, And this looked like the best way to do it, If anyone has any tips for this i would be very grateful .  Thanks Garry

• RMweb Gold

May I suggest making a piece of square section plastic extrusion, to the basic size of the head of your washout plug. make a 'neck' at the joint betwixt the extrusion and your new washout plug. Glue into place. Twisting at the joint should allow the plug to break free, leaving the plug in place.

I have thought about how I'd go about it, as my locos are still in store. Naturally, a dry run or two will hopefully prove the process.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry

May I suggest making a piece of square section plastic extrusion, to the basic size of the head of your washout plug. make a 'neck' at the joint betwixt the extrusion and your new washout plug. Glue into place. Twisting at the joint should allow the plug to break free, leaving the plug in place.

I have thought about how I'd go about it, as my locos are still in store. Naturally, a dry run or two will hopefully prove the process.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

I would drill a hole in the appropriate place and fit the square section in that, as butt joints in plastic tend to be weak.

But now you've made me want to do it to my 42xx...

Its got to be done, The holes look odd, The rear vac pipe on the 72xx is on the wrong side as well, And i have fitted a detail kit from BRASSMASTERS, This kit is a must for your 42xx as well,