mike hughes

• 2 weeks later...

I've got paint and numbers on the SUB motor coaches, lurking there as well is CCT and also a China Clay both of which had been waiting for numbers for ages and also the other Flatrol MVV which haven't numbered yet

Michael

IMG_1010.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've finally got round to having another go at making the bogie masters Gresley EMU bogies, this time using surface rivets (never used these so any tips would be great)

As the leaf springs aren't fully visible, I've cheated a bit and used a piece of Evergreen strip, done a bit of scoring and curved it to shape.

Also now glazed the 06

Michael

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

23 hours ago, mike hughes said:

I've finally got round to having another go at making the bogie masters Gresley EMU bogies, this time using surface rivets (never used these so any tips would be great)

As the leaf springs aren't fully visible, I've cheated a bit and used a piece of Evergreen strip, done a bit of scoring and curved it to shape.

Also now glazed the 06

Michael

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

I have found the Archers rivets need a good gloss surface for them to stick properly. Also I very carefully varnish or paint over them once they are dry as otherwise you can wipe them off with your hands.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2022 at 07:17, kes said:

I have found the Archers rivets need a good gloss surface for them to stick properly. Also I very carefully varnish or paint over them once they are dry as otherwise you can wipe them off with your hands.

Thanks, will give it a go, just need to decide whether varnish or gloss paint

Michael

I’ve got as far as grey primer and then marked for the rivets on the 304 bogies. The axle box covers were spares from Easy build bogies. The gloss varnish is being applied at the moment. Tomorrow onwards is apply the Archers rivets. Also been making up the lamp irons for the 104

Michael 

B7A2EA19-869C-4C86-A3BD-BA68578308EA.jpeg

60960D5D-8E15-4DB8-90F4-CB76046B97CC.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been making some of the other parts for the bogies and believe almost there at last with them. Annoyingly one of the rivets had come off on the end stretcher but least easy fix

Michael 

Inserted a clearer pic

E15B051B-B4EE-42B2-A107-754C4FFA6695.jpeg

Edited by mike hughes
  • Like 5

I've put the bogie sides into plasticine to make it a 2 part mould. Once I've made a pair of resin copies I'll send away to be properly cast in whitemetal along with the other bits. I'll cast a couple more bogie sides as these will be my display ones.

Michael

IMG_1754.JPG

• Like 5