1960's Royal train

Hi and help!,

I'm wanting to model the Royal train in the 1960's but I cannot find any pics or information on what it looked like.  

If anyone has any information, what stock it was or pictures I would be great full.  

Mark Towers

The Mk1 'Royals' would have been around by that time but there were a few other vehicles to choose from too - so it would depend on the function of the train what was actually used. The Derby Day working seemed to be a spotless Schools class with the GNR twelve-wheel saloon and a Pullman or two, for instance, whereas an overnight stay would involve sleeping and dining cars.

Thank you I didn't know it was like that,

I am modelling the north west and all I know is there was a royal train what was pulled by a pair of black 5s then it was stabled at the disused delph line.

Thanks again. 

Mark

There is a photo taken at Delph Junction of that train, in Larry Goddard and Terry ?s book on the Oldham to Delph branch; it might also be worth getting in touch with Peter Fox at Saddleworth Museum, to see if he has any info.

Thank you I didn't know it was like that,

I am modelling the north west and all I know is there was a royal train what was pulled by a pair of black 5s then it was stabled at the disused delph line.

Thanks again. 

Mark

I guess that would have included the Mk1s - but the LMS trio ( which I forgot to mention above ) were still around. I'm sure there ARE pictures of that working but I've no idea how you track them down - other than trawling through contemporary Railway Mags, of course !

NOW I know - ta 62613 !

Edited by Wickham Green

A 'full royal' could be twelve or more vehicles including the wartime LMS 12 wheelers (HM Queen's and Duke of Edinburgh's saloons) 3 mk1s, some LNWR 12 wheelers, sundry other saloons according to need and a couple of LNWR brakes. Bill Bedford does/did sides for the LMS saloons and 247 used to do sides for the LNWR 8 wheel brakes (or rather, the LNWR 2-compartment BFKs from which they were converted).

A shorter formation for a single royal travelling with minimal retinue might be one of the LMS saloons, mk1 dining saloon,mk1 equiry's saloon and the LNWR 8 wheel power brakes. This, or something like it, worked to and from Ripon in 1965 with (I think) Prince Phillip on board.

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi and help!,

I'm wanting to model the Royal train in the 1960's but I cannot find any pics or information on what it looked like.  

If anyone has any information, what stock it was or pictures I would be great full.  

Mark Towers

I knew I had some info somewhere, and at last I have found my chaotic notes. 

In 1965 when Brenda and Phil the Greek were on the train, it seemed to have been formed as follows:-

31209, 77, 806, 495, 2901, 499, 798, 799, 2900, 5155

If you have a specific year/month, I can maybe get a bit more accuracy.