Accessory Decoder

daryl43068

Hi all,

Does anyone got a wiring diagram for an accessory decoder? Is is as simple as putting your (+) and (-) power connections on and output feeds with a common return?

Any help much appreciated!!

Many thanks

Daryl

Hi, Daryl. Obvious question but what make of accessory decoder and how come no instructions with it?

In general though, you have it about right. The track connections are not polarity sensitive unless you are using more than one decoder in which case Track A and Track B become relevant. If the connections have + and - on them it might be that a separate DC supply is needed.

Then, of course, the outputs need to be right for the point motors you are using.

Some are quite happy powered off the DCC track bus. Others can take a separate power supply to power the actual decoder and others again will not work unless connected to a separate supply. At least one (Lenz LS150) requires that its separate power supply is AC not DC. So this question cannot really be answered unless you tell us what decoder your have.

Hi guys,

I haven't bought a decoder yet, was doing my homework first! Bit of background, I am doing a model of the EWS Executive train and plan to put the decoder in the DVT and plan to run the coach lighting, Central Door Locking lights and the DVT's head and tail lights off one decoder, so would a 4 function decoder be alright?

Cheers guys

Hi guys,

I haven't bought a decoder yet, was doing my homework first! Bit of background, I am doing a model of the EWS Executive train and plan to put the decoder in the DVT and plan to run the coach lighting, Central Door Locking lights and the DVT's head and tail lights off one decoder, so would a 4 function decoder be alright?

Cheers guys

You need what's known as a function decoder. "Accessory decoder" refers to the items used to drive signals and points.

Four functions sounds fine. Something like the TCS FL4 should do the job but check the current consumption (and think about how you will get the wires across) if you plan to run several coaches worth of lights from one decoder.

You need what's known as a function decoder. "Accessory decoder" refers to the items used to drive signals and points.

Four functions sounds fine. Something like the TCS FL4 should do the job but check the current consumption (and think about how you will get the wires across) if you plan to run several coaches worth of lights from one decoder.

Cheers Edwin, sorry for the confusion! I'm only running 3 Mk3's semi-pemanantly coupled together, and the connections between the coaches will be made with connections I saw in the latest Model Rail, from DCC supplies I think, cant remember of the top of my head!

Thanks again for all your help guys!

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

Cheers guys

Ah, you mean 'function-only' decoder, not 'accessory' ;) 'Accessory' decoders are for track side duties such as switching turnout motors, while 'function-only' decoders are for onboard duties where no motor is required such as lighting and the like.

Personally I'd use a Hornby R8249 and just not have any motor connected, but that might not work on all DCC systems (mine is Lenz Set 100 and seems to be OK).

Personally I'd use a Hornby R8249 and just not have any motor connected, but that might not work on all DCC systems (mine is Lenz Set 100 and seems to be OK).

Most decoders won't take programming commands unless there is a motor connected. OK for functions so long as you don't want to change anything but a bit tricky when you want to change address. You can of course put the lights themselves across the motor wires. Adds an extra function for other things.

If yopu are only running the coach lighting, even two circuits, surely a motor decoder will do this with a three pole connector between the loco and coaches? Two functions for the loco lights and two for the coaches.

TCS decoders allow the motor circuit to be mapped to a function button. As the motor circuit gives a lot more current than a function circuit this would be ideal for your coach lighting. I think the "speed" can be set too, so you can adjust the brightness.

• RMweb Gold

Most decoders won't take programming commands unless there is a motor connected. OK for functions so long as you don't want to change anything but a bit tricky when you want to change address. You can of course put the lights themselves across the motor wires. Adds an extra function for other things.

One of the very cheap Underground Ernie locos (with the body removed)I obtained earlier in the year is useful for this. It is basically an 8 pin socket with motor, headlight and wheels attached. The decoder can be programmed and then put in the motorless coach trailer. I suppose any old chassis with an appropriate socket would do.

Tony

One of the very cheap Underground Ernie locos (with the body removed)I obtained earlier in the year is useful for this. It is basically an 8 pin socket with motor, headlight and wheels attached. The decoder can be programmed and then put in the motorless coach trailer. I suppose any old chassis with an appropriate socket would do.

Put it on Ebay for ??30 starting bid labelled as "DCC Decoder Tester" :-)

Archived