Burngullow Lane. - On the main line through Legend Land.

TrevorP1

• RMweb Premium

One last look from the carriage window of the up Cornishman. In the lean-to on the right I sat a grumpy old dog to guard the derelict car but I think he's hiding, no sign of him now! 

IMG_8574.jpeg.0e9ab1168a36ae99937c727c66d54035.jpeg

• Like 19

Hi

The barn & how you blended it in is excellently done.....

As regards photo's as backscene I always use photo's on plain photocopy paper....

I feel the result is nicely matt & tends to be slightly 'paler' so blends in better to give more of a sense of depth.....Also as the paper is thin it's easier to hide the edges.....especially if you use several individual pictures added together to form a backscene......Just be careful of the glue you use unless you seal the pictures.....

Enjoying your progress....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Nicely done Trevor, also thanks for the model railway  bits link not seen that but looks excellent for the cost, will give him a try.

The barn is very good you’ve done a great job on that.

The road over bridge backscene’s the 2nd one works better against a sky background than the below skyline one imho but with those lovely shadows as you point out they are really nice starting points.

If you can get the contrast right on the 1st one it will definitely work as well as the one against the sky.

The Cornish alps look fine as well.

Good stuff looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thank to those who have commented on the 'bridges'. All thoughts taken on board. The image behind the stone bridge is from one of the photos I took for the purpose, I thought I had one for the girder bridge and when I came to look.... Google came to the rescue, but at least I can go back later in the year and take a selection. This will at least give me a chance to  get one from the right height and not one from the top of the Google van.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A trip out to the Corris Railway today. Corris is a very cramped site but the new traverser helps considerably and there are plans to replace the overall roof. Maespoeth has a great atmosphere and the extension down the valley is being worked on. Everything is very well done and the staff were helpful and friendly. If you don't know much about the project, think of it as kind of Welsh Lynton and Barnstaple. Well worth a couple of hours if you are out that way - Talyllyn not far away either.

Corris Railway

IMG_8610.jpeg.989328906d022688254d9517a3a1a732.jpeg

IMG_8612.jpeg.fabfaa6849de166a7e081c006e04e9e6.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Trevor, I travel on the A3058 through Trewoon and Lanjeth every time I visit my model railway club, so am happy to stop by at Burngullow or other location, if you need any details photographing.  Not a problem this time of year with the lighter evenings.

Phil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Chamby said:

Trevor, I travel on the A3058 through Trewoon and Lanjeth every time I visit my model railway club, so am happy to stop by at Burngullow or other location, if you need any details photographing.  Not a problem this time of year with the lighter evenings.

Phil.

Thanks Phil, I'll bear that in mind although we are down later in the year and I can easily go for a short wander round the lanes with the dog.

I was wondering which club you belonged to. Maybe I might get a chance to visit if I can get a 'pass out' that coincides with suitable time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

I keep looking at that blue paint. Know I know it's wrong I think it'll have to go. It's a shame, I quite like it!

Leave it as it is then!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
On 05/05/2022 at 11:03, St Enodoc said:

Leave it as it is then!

I think I will!

The materials for the clay dry roof have arrived. Clay dry and workmate have been taken up to my workroom. Relevant posts on here and various pictures have been studied. Grey cells on charge...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well here goes!

Using the method outlined by Stoker on p18, I’m using strips of Slaters corrugated material at a scale 6’ 6” width, fixed to a plasticard base. Once the first row is in, the subsequent rows have their front edge sitting on strips of 0.010 strip. Burrs from the cutting process come off with a fibreglass brush once the solvent has set.

It’s a straightforward process but this is where I’m leaving it tonight whilst the going is good. A celebratory G & T plus a couple of episodes of Doc Martin are called for!

8126AA7D-02E9-4464-B3A0-FDA6552BB89C.jpeg.0fbb4c265942b268b38fef72b8ea685b.jpeg

FA184B51-408C-418D-ABDB-F216FE05CD2F.jpeg.b888aa30d3dc750b8e0e79857565029e.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A welcome envelope from Railtec this morning containing various items of carriage and wagon lettering to enable me to get on with several projects that were backing up. Among them was this sheet of specials for an amazingly reasonable price. The keen eyed will spot the Cornish wagon brandings! 

59AAE042-849D-406F-9EA4-31ACA21B7E40.jpeg.5bf9a6c3b140129eafc03da877d97c5c.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looking very good Trevor, tempted with a B4 myself I’ve I’ve got a quay and L&B on my layout in the making so it must be fate!

Cheers

Ade

Edited by AdeMoore
Auto correct
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 15/03/2022 at 00:46, TrevorP1 said:

Spotted this today Western to the Coast and my wallet felt the pain straight away! Very much looking forward to it's arrival.

Now ordered, together with 'Cornwall' Transition from Steam - Transport Treasury Publishing's Jubilee 25% discount offer was too good to resist!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Back from an excellent weeks stay in Goathland, North Yorkshire. The local businesses are making the most of the TV and film connections - and who can blame them - but once the TV tourists have gone it is a wonderful quiet friendly village set in fantastic countryside.

Other benefits, all within walking distance, are the NYMR, The Model Centre and four pubs/hotels serving real ale!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I must admit this photo looks like nothing has changed but in reality I've recently spent a good few hours in this area. Probably the most noticeable is the corrugated iron bagged clay shed. I claim nothing original here as I've seen similar things on other layouts but it's very handy for blending the building into the backscene. A bush or two needs planting here yet, similarly on the other side by the sky tip.

Not so noticeable is that I've relaid the siding. I'd been far to generous with the detritus between the tracks and it looked a mess when I'd cleaned it up. So, when in doubt rip it out! The ground cover here has also been completely redone. There has also been a start on the 'road' surface by the double doors. Just talc on grey(ish) paint at the moment. Obviously a lot more needs doing - coal pile, weeds, different colouring, etc and hopefully I'll start on this tomorrow.

IMG_8886.thumb.jpeg.45f5e6dde0caac8890a5fe6472a1fa4d.jpeg

Looks super, Trevor. Fancy popping over to apply some TLC to Wheal Veronica?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Looks super, Trevor. Fancy popping over to apply some TLC to Wheal Veronica?

OK John, book me a flight and I’ll pop over! 😉

Seriously, there’s a lot of experimentation going on and sometimes it works. That, and looking at the techniques that people on here use plus things like the Missenden Modellers series on YouTube.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I must admit this photo looks like nothing has changed but in reality I've recently spent a good few hours in this area. Probably the most noticeable is the corrugated iron bagged clay shed. I claim nothing original here as I've seen similar things on other layouts but it's very handy for blending the building into the backscene. A bush or two needs planting here yet, similarly on the other side by the sky tip.

Not so noticeable is that I've relaid the siding. I'd been far to generous with the detritus between the tracks and it looked a mess when I'd cleaned it up. So, when in doubt rip it out! The ground cover here has also been completely redone. There has also been a start on the 'road' surface by the double doors. Just talc on grey(ish) paint at the moment. Obviously a lot more needs doing - coal pile, weeds, different colouring, etc and hopefully I'll start on this tomorrow.

IMG_8886.thumb.jpeg.45f5e6dde0caac8890a5fe6472a1fa4d.jpeg

Looks brilliant well done! Great feel to that picture now.

Rhys

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1