Is it worth changing?

Black5

Good morning,

At the moment my layout is controlled by a Select controller. The layout is a M P D so locos only crawl around at walking pace.

What I`d like to know is, the Select has acceleration and deceleration functions that I use. More expensive controllers have the ability to fine tune the CV settings on the decoder.

What actually happens when you do that fine tuning? Would it make slow running better than the Select can give? or are they simply the same function?

I`m at the point where I`m not sure I would gain that much in buying a more expensive controller but it would be good to know what the differences are.

Many Thanks,

Jim.

The question this raises for me is 'are you entirely satisfied with the running of all your locos at present?'. If so, then no need for change.

But if one or more of your locos isn't performing enirely as you would like, having used all the adjustments that can be accessed by your present system, then you may want to look at a change in order to access more decoder CV settings. There's a need to be realistic in appreciating that a more capable DCC system is not a wonder cure. If either or both of mechanisms or decoders are poor performers, you may already be near to or at the limit of the running quality available.

One of the joys for me of the DCC system's capability is to set up locos to perform uniformly. Speed step 1 is a dead slow creep into and out of motion on all locos, and by groups the speed curves and maximum speed are matched. In a MPD layout setting I would think to set all locos for a maximum speed of the depot limit, with very closely matched curves. I don't know if the Select enables this, but a full system with well specified decoders certainly will.

The question this raises for me is 'are you entirely satisfied with the running of all your locos at present?'. If so, then no need for change.

But if one or more of your locos isn't performing enirely as you would like, having used all the adjustments that can be accessed by your present system, then you may want to look at a change in order to access more decoder CV settings. There's a need to be realistic in appreciating that a more capable DCC system is not a wonder cure. If either or both of mechanisms or decoders are poor performers, you may already be near to or at the limit of the running quality available.

One of the joys for me of the DCC system's capability is to set up locos to perform uniformly. Speed step 1 is a dead slow creep into and out of motion on all locos, and by groups the speed curves and maximum speed are matched. In a MPD layout setting I would think to set all locos for a maximum speed of the depot limit, with very closely matched curves. I don't know if the Select enables this, but a full system with well specified decoders certainly will.

Many thanks for your answers .I know it must have looked like I was answering my own question but other people have far more experience in dcc than I do.

What you`ve said about setting speed limits is something I don`t think would happen on the present  set up.

There is a model railway exhibition locally in a couple of weeks so I`ll be asking some questions there as well and maybe get shown the possibilities.

You`ve certainly given me food for thought.

Thankyou.

I've altered the speeds of my locos.

While not prototypical, all steam engines, whether a Pannier or Class 4MT, all have the same set of speeds. That means when running on 28 speed (I run all mine at 28 speed steps) it's not that fast. Match it against the CLass 68 and the latter will beat it as I've set the top speed to be higher.

While I was pretty happy with out of the box settings on the decoder, having the ability to slow the top speed down (which means I get better lower speeds) enables me to match the speeds to my layout, which is more important for me than having prototypical speeds.

Like @34theletterbetweenB&D says though, all locos start and slow down at the same rate, which again, while not prototypical, makes it easy for me to know what a loco will or won't do.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A cheap way to allow you to tune the decoders is with a Sprog:

http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk

I use one of these to tune decoders for my Selects and an Elite. A length of test track, laptop and Sprog II separate from the layout. JMRI free software saves all your settings and you can make custom speed curves, maximum top speed, all CVs can be accessed and altered. It is good that the settings are saved for you, nothing to write done so in the event off a decoder failing you lose nothing.

Edited by dhjgreen

Hi,

Another factor to consider is what DCC decoders do you have. There are a few types that offer little adjustment. There are some others that have a lot of variables that can be adjusted but not all of these are documented by their manufacturer.

In the latter case JMRI Decoder Pro free software and a compatible computer & DCC device (a SPROG is also in this category) should be useful.

What decoders do you have at the moment?.

Regards

Nick

A cheap way to allow you to tune the decoders is with a Sprog:

http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk

I use one of these to tune decoders for my Selects and an Elite. A length of test track, laptop and Sprog II separate from the layout. JMRI free software saves all your settings and you can make custom speed curves, maximum top speed, all CVs can be accessed and altered. It is good that the settings are saved for you, nothing to write done so in the event off a decoder failing you lose nothing.

If you own an Elite, then you didn't need the Sprog.  A USB cable from computer to Elite and you can use JMRI/DecoderPro with the Elite to program your locos in the same way as with a Sprog.

The same applies to numerous other systems, the system maker's computer connection may offer a cheaper or more useful option, such as the ability to "program on the main" on your actual layout, thus setting parameters exactly as they apply to your layout.    

The advantage of the Sprog is that its portable, stand-alone, reliable and well supported.  But its not the only hardware option.   (I have two Sprogs and like them).

- Nigel

Thankyou very much for all your suggestions.

At the moment most locos are Hornby chipped, with one having a gauge master decoder and I have a couple of Zimo MX 600 decoders  waiting to be put into something.

My original feeling was that a better quality controller would give me more adjustment but as I only run slowly and don`t have lights or sound, was it worth the extra expense for what I might achieve,

Thanks once again,

• RMweb Premium

I found the Select perfectly adequate for a similar layout. Mine is end to end with the scenic part a station, so no fast moving. With up to 3 trains moving at one time, I chose Gaugemaster for my upgrade for the better handover of a train to another handset.