Older Hornby - Triang motor wheelsets

GregusGWR

I have a couple of old Hornby trains: Grey Pullman with old, old motor and ridged tyre motor bogie such as found in a Craven Class 117 DMU and a dock shunter.

All have the ridged tyre wheel sets.

The back to back can be adjusted OK but it's the flange height/width and or tyre width that doesn't play well with Peco/Hornby 100 type points. Insulfrog points.

Apart from buying a lathe and resizing the wheel, can I get replacement wheel sets from somewhere or should I just re-motor the thing?

Any ideas? I am in Australia but buy from UK so your local dealers would be fine.

unfortunately I haven't found a solution locally.

I think you mean the class 101 Met-Cam DMU, the later one is a Ringfield.  I have not had a problem running them through Peco code 100 pointwork. However they are not the best, and there was someone offering on Ebay and possibly elsewhere Hornby Ringfield motor wheels with the centres drilled out to fit the Triang axles, which would be a cheap improvement. Beyond that I think Ultrascale do replacement wheels, and possibly drop in axle sets.

I would suggest remotoring, There was 'Hollywood foundry' in Oz providing suitable product, but I recall he has had a health problem which currently limits supply.

Don't chuck the old drives. There are some benighted souls out there that believe knurled tyres give better grip, who will actually pay good money for your old pieces...

The Pullman motor bogie with ridged wheels, can have replacement smooth wheels of the same type fitted as they were used in later years as a standard Triang/Hornby part. There should be no problem running them through code 100 points if the b2b is adjusted - I have these wheels running ok through code 75.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of old Hornby trains: Grey Pullman with old, old motor and ridged tyre motor bogie such as found in a Craven Class 117 DMU and a dock shunter.

All have the ridged tyre wheel sets.

The back to back can be adjusted OK but it's the flange height/width and or tyre width that doesn't play well with Peco/Hornby 100 type points. Insulfrog points.

Apart from buying a lathe and resizing the wheel, can I get replacement wheel sets from somewhere or should I just re-motor the thing?

Any ideas? I am in Australia but buy from UK so your local dealers would be fine.

unfortunately I haven't found a solution locally.

Try looking closer to home! Steam Era Models do some replacement bogies. There was an article in the Railway Modeller on converting.

Thanks guys. I just saw a Youtube of Johns Amazing Trains where he has a load of smooth tyred and ribbed tyred whee/axle sets he had turned on a  lathe and the flange reduced. Not sure how much or where to get them.

I'll try Steam Era Models

I fitted one of my Blue Pullman power cars with some replacement wheels many years ago, and they run perfectly on Code 100 points. Trouble is that I can’t remember where I got them from! I will try to look it up if I can. The photo shows the difference between the old and the new wheels.

post-9029-0-03116000-1538578558_thumb.jpeg