Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Could someone help a Swede out?

LU_fan

• RMweb Premium

The link given in post #5 (to the tfl site) shows that Oyster is indeed available to Gatwick by Southern or Thameslink.

rgds

www.Londontoolkit.com isn't a TfL site, well-meaning though it is.  It does say Oyster is valid but not the cheapest, probably because people have used it and been charged the standard fare instead.

Try: https://tfl.gov.uk/

To avoid confusion (like taking a train that misses the last stop within the boundary so you have to pay an excess fare when you get off at the next stop) I would recommend sticking to just Underground, Overground and TfLRail services.

• RMweb Premium

The link given in post #5 (to the tfl site) shows that Oyster is indeed available to Gatwick by Southern or Thameslink.

rgds

Oyster is NOT the cheapest fare from Gatwick - paper tickets (particularly operator specific ones) will always provide a better deal.

It only got extended there because of intense lobbying by the airports owners who didn't want to lose out when Heathrow gets Crossrail (upon which Oyster will be valid)

It's even worse here in the US.

So what are Swedes called here, no US residents need respond!

Regards,

John P

The vegetable that British folk call Swedes are known as Rutabaga in the US I believe.

And lest any confusion exists, turnips are something distinct from Swedes/ Rutabaga.

• 2 weeks later...

5) Yes, Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour and Wightlink ferry, there is still a fare via Portsmouth & Southsea and the hovercraft, but its a long way across Portsmouth between station and hoverport. You can book through to any station on the Isle of Wight, but this seems to cause difficulties with some of the online advanced booking sites. I think you can still book through to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, but I haven't tried it recently. Top tip - be in the leading coach at Portsmouth Harbour station and off the train quickly, to get best position in the queue for the boat, and therefore choice of seat or railing for photos on the boat. Also be aware SouthWestern Railways are having strike days at the moment -usually Saturdays, but I notice the next one is a Friday as well - avoid the Waterloo-Portsmouth line on a strike day! Frequency is every hour.

6) I tend to use the Virgin trains website, but Southwesterns seems to be getting better https://www.southwesternrailway.com/

Jon

I managed to find another site which offers through tickets*, but I haven't booked any yet. Mainly because I'm not really sure how these tickets work. It's funny, though. That site does sell combined tickets, but under their customer service tab they advice people to contact another retailer about them.

I'm starting to wonder if it might be easier to buy each ticket separately.

* https://www.directferries.co.uk/train_and_ferry_to_isle_of_wight.htm

Oyster is NOT the cheapest fare from Gatwick - paper tickets (particularly operator specific ones) will always provide a better deal.

It only got extended there because of intense lobbying by the airports owners who didn't want to lose out when Heathrow gets Crossrail (upon which Oyster will be valid)

When I was passing through Victoria the other day I did notice big signs on the concourse warning you that if you wanted to catch a non-Gatwick Express service to Gatwick and were paying by Oyster or contactless, be careful not to go through the Gatwick Express branded ticket gates because they would charge you more.

Went out to Paddington last night to film the Night Riviera departing, and that was a little interesting. The only information desks I could find were GWR, which were closed btw, as were the only members of staff I could see. So I spoke to one of their staff, stated my intentions to photograph the trains. He pointed me towards a group of Network Rail employees I hadn't seen. Went and spoke to one of them, and he pointed me back towards the GWR staff. None of them really seemed to know what to do. But they let me in, and I managed to catch an HST and a Class 800 as well, so all in all, I'd say it was a success.

• Like 4

Landed back home a few hours ago, and I would just like to thank everyone for their help.

I managed to check out Paddington, Victoria, Waterloo, Marylebone, and King's Cross for a couple hours each.

Travelled around all over the Oyster map with no real plan, all the way out to zones 8 and 9. Gotta admit that the Oyster travelcards are much more inclusive than I previously thought.

Spent some time at Alexandra Palace, where I managed to catch a 717 on what I assume was a test run. No destination, all the lights turned off, wasn't scheduled to stop.

Filmed and rode the 313's on the NCL for the first and, most likely, last time.

Caught both the Night Riviera and the 23:50 Caledonian Sleeper, one time each.

Saw and filmed quite a few diesels, including a few unexpected 66's, though mostly HST's and Chiltern DMU's. Honestly, not disappointed.

I did go to the Isle of Wight, though only for a few hours before darkness fell. But it was worth it.

All in all a pretty good trip, even though I did get soaked from head to toe while at King's Cross earlier today. But I've only got myself to blame. I just had to catch that one Virgin branded 43 departing.

• Like 4