0 gauge trams

pecksniff

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Ted,

I'm another RMweber who dabbles in 0 gauge trams - mainly Bachmann 4 wheelers and converted San Francisco kits at present, as I'm concentrating on my 00 gauge tramway based on Blackpool/Fleetwood, entitled Woodfleet Tramway... also a 009 tramway...

Some pics on my website: www.trammodelling.co.uk - which I must update...

Regards,

Tony

Hi there

Anyone into 0 gauge trams I have a couple one from terr trams and another from chris cornell

looking for like minded people on this subjuct..

Ted

Hi Ted,

Likeminded, yes. Would love to get involved but to date is only "armchair" interest. Resaon being I can't find any sources or other info. I would love to dabble in UK trams, (Manchester, Stockport, etc) but NOT modern ones. Have a couple of books on the real thing as well as a couple of softbacks on tramway modelling, but that is mainly 4mm 00 scale.

gresley

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ted,

Likeminded, yes. Would love to get involved but to date is only "armchair" interest. Resaon being I can't find any sources or other info. I would love to dabble in UK trams, (Manchester, Stockport, etc) but NOT modern ones. Have a couple of books on the real thing as well as a couple of softbacks on tramway modelling, but that is mainly 4mm 00 scale.

gresley

Do a search on http://www.trainorders.com for [author] Birdman [section] Model Railroading [time] last year. He has some very nice broad gauge Delaware Interurban traction stuff in large scale

I've got some bits and pieces lying around waiting for the day when I get down to them. Alphagraphix, Chris Cornell and Terry Russell seem to be the only current suppliers of British 7mm tramway stuff. I believe that ABS own quite a few kits in the scale but these are 'dormant' for want of a better word.

I always feel that 7mm is actually a far more suitable modelling scale for trams than 4mm, which is a bit fiddly. However I suspect the relative lack of available kits puts folk off.

What about the KW models O gauge tram kits? http://www.kwtrams.co.uk/models.html# Not tried any myself but the works car seems a bargain price (balcony car too) I've used some of their 4mm castings and whilst quite chunky they weren't bad at all.

To be honest, I'd be ordering one if I wasn't scared of getting completely sidetracked! Still might anyway! Is there anything you could use as an r-t-r spud type drive unit? Or is a Terry Russell truck the best bet?

• 1 month later...

Anybody built one of these in 7mm? What are they like for motorising?

I've not built any of their 7mm offerings, but have seen a built up version of the balcony car, as it comes it seems quite basic but the castings looked ok, for the price they seem like a good start, I'm still hankering after getting one to build up as an SHMD car.

I also have seen a power truck by I think 'Bec' (the Tramman version) it looked like two of their 4mm white metal cast chassis side by side, to be honest, and I've not seen it run, it looked a bit 'Heath Robinson'. I think if I do 'go large' I'll be powering it by one of these

http://www.terryrusselltrams.co.uk/motors.htm

I think if I do 'go large' I'll be powering it by one of these http://www.terryruss...o.uk/motors.htm

Hi Red Devil,

Thanks for posting that link. I'm new to RMweb, but have been debating for a couple of months on the subject matter for a new layout. Have about 12 foot to play with, although only about 1ft in width because of the space. After a visit to the Isle of Man for the Transport Festival, i'm seriously considering moving away from the proper railways to 7mm tramways, you can do so much with the space! I'd been looking at various websites, but hadn't come across Terry Russells website at all - so thanks.

Never scratchbuilt anything before, but i'm thinking its time to start, especially if the motors/trucks can be obtained RTR. Are these easy to mount into frames?

Ta

SS

Very rough figures are:

4-wheel car [based on the widely-used 'Preston' design] approx. 200mm long

Bogie car - based on London E/3 design - approx. 250mm long

Blackpool bogie car approx. 295mm long

As for mounting bogies and trucks for 7mm vehicles, I've not seen a 4-wheel Russell truck close to, but the pictures suggest there are four fixing studs at the 'corners', i.e. outer ends of the suspension. These would fix directly into the underframe/underbody of a four-wheel car.

I have one set of Russell maximum-traction bogies, and these have a simple brass stud which would mate to a hole in the floor or underframe cross-member, and be retained by washers and locknuts.

Overall, very straightforward, basic mountings.

Very rough figures are:

4-wheel car [based on the widely-used 'Preston' design] approx. 200mm long

Bogie car - based on London E/3 design - approx. 250mm long

Blackpool bogie car approx. 295mm long

As for mounting bogies and trucks for 7mm vehicles, I've not seen a 4-wheel Russell truck close to, but the pictures suggest there are four fixing studs at the 'corners', i.e. outer ends of the suspension. These would fix directly into the underframe/underbody of a four-wheel car.

I have one set of Russell maximum-traction bogies, and these have a simple brass stud which would mate to a hole in the floor or underframe cross-member, and be retained by washers and locknuts.

Overall, very straightforward, basic mountings.

Thanks for that. Allows me to get measuring!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

As soon as I track down "Bristol board" or similar I'm going to give scratch building a tram a go. In the Summer I got the "How to Build a Model Tram in O Gauge" book and a set of drawings for a 'Beeston Airbrake' from Terry Russell.

I had a look www.gordonstrams.net the other night and the Trams in the Sealane section are excellent, and the automatic running diagrams got my mind ticking over...

I'm still keeping my N Gauge though!

Simon

Hi,

As soon as I track down "Bristol board" or similar I'm going to give scratch building a tram a go. In the Summer I got the "How to Build a Model Tram in O Gauge" book and a set of drawings for a 'Beeston Airbrake' from Terry Russell.

Simon

Bristol board is available from art shops, it is used for mounting and framing pictures and is readily available. Your nearest art shop should stock it, if they have card sheets labelled as something else ask for Bristol board and they will know what you mean.

Geoff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Is it like the Daler-Rowney mounting board? I live in Helsinki so will get blank looks asking for Bristol Board :(

No - they're completely different. Both have their uses - but for different purposes.

Bristol board is like a few, very thin, sheets of paper bonded together - which makes it a lot more rigid than plain paper of a similar thickness.

Because of the way it's made, you also don't get much "bleed", if you run it through an inkjet printer or use felt pens.

It's got a very smooth, white finish - it looks a bit like the thin card that's often used for printing business cards.

Mounting board also has its uses - but it's very different stuff. It's a lot thicker - with a core more like the stuff you'd find on cereal packets (but probably thicker) - and is often faced with coloured paper to allow use in picture frames.

I hope this helps,

Huw.

• 5 weeks later...

Bristol Board is I think now known as Ivorex Modelling Board . Its stocked by Terry Russell Trams and there are a number of other useful items on his site ranging from tram kits , tram crew, tram stops to tram seating , advertising sheets etc etc.

I havent used his services as yet but as I am just starting a tram micro utilising anglisised Bachmann trams so no doubt that will change.

If anyone else is using Bachmann trams as a basis for their stock I would be interested in knowing what track they use . I assume the most likely is Peco 0-16.5 but I understand Tillig/Luna did or maybe still do an 0-16.5 tram track system but as yet I have been unable to find any UK based suppliers of the Tillig Tram products so I would be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction. for Tillig stockists or if there are any other possible makers to consider..

http://www.ghbintl.c...ersicht_DE.html not cheap - not sure if anyone in UK imports it for that reason.

Thanks for the link - it looks good stuff but as you say its on the expensive side especially if shipping costs from the USA have to be factored into the equation . However I dont need a lot so it may be worth pushing the boat out a bit . All the more reason to hope I can find a UK or at least European supplier - more research required I think.

Thanks for the link - it looks good stuff but as you say its on the expensive side especially if shipping costs from the USA have to be factored into the equation . However I dont need a lot so it may be worth pushing the boat out a bit . All the more reason to hope I can find a UK or at least European supplier - more research required I think.

Update

An email to International Models failed to elicit any response and there are no signs of them stocking the product on their web site but another contact has suggested that a firm called Modelenium UK will take orders for Luna Tram Products but delivery may take several weeks or more and also that it can be bought through "On Tracks".

Archived