Hornby WC/BB Renumber

I have been asked to renumber a Hornby “Camelford” to Manston. Having not done before does the nameplate and scroll come off ok?

I will probably use the fox renumbering set for this but it gives two sizes of 8 or 10 inches in real scale. Which is the correct one?

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Premium

Hornby's standard plastic nameplates should ease off leaving the two securing lug holes in the bodyside which any new etched nameplate should cover over.

The scroll is usually printed on and should again be a straight cover over job with the new one.

For the cabside numerals, check by measuring the height of the existing ones before removal and check photos of chosen loco as they did vary.

Edited by John M Upton

Assuming this is for locos in unrebuilt condition, be aware that the nameplates aren't in the same place for a West Country and a Battle of Britain.

Study of photos will give you a precise answer, but I seem to remember one is lower on the bodyside than the other.

John.

Slip the thinnest blade you have behind the nameplate and ease the pegs out of the holes. If it won't come off take off the body and pare away the glue on the back of the pegs inside the body and the pegs will come out.

To fit the Manston crest in the correct postion between the lining bands you will have to fill and paint the peg holes and glue the Manston nameplate higher, closer to the top lining, and paint over the "West Country" scroll.

Not as easy as you might think to do a really professional job with different nameplate locations or WC/ BoB identity changes.

I will be pointing all this out before I start the job. I hadn’t committed myself to doing it until I spoke to people on here. A very wise course of action in this instance. Thanks to all who have responded with your knowledge.