WWI Scottish Naval Bases - ministry wagons and loco liveries

Martin S-C

On 07/10/2018 at 22:19, Martin S-C said:

Could people comment on the liveries and colour shades here? I assume they are close. Of course weathering darkens the workshop finish.

post-34294-0-33130800-1538946982.jpg      

Just to resurrect this one, I've now found the original photie on which this livery is based - in the HMRS collection https://hmrs.org.uk/photographs/min-of-munitions-castle-ashby-12t-4-plank-dropside-8535-f3r.html although the wagon in question was actually a four plank drop-sided one and the grey is very much darker than the model. The original was built by the Ince Waggon Company, but intriguingly there's also another by Hurst Nelson - same lettering etc [apart from the number] but in black on what might be a white background [there's also a hopper wagon in the same livery]

What I find striking about the whole business is the absolute want of anything approaching uniformity. Instead of a standard livery it seems to have been a case of getting hold of a batch of wagons and applying the letter M somewhere and I really wouldn't be surprised is there were brown wagons as well as grey

• Informative/Useful 1