Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

AIRFIX 4F FOWLER

halsey

• RMweb Gold

hi,

I have managed to download a service sheet but cant find any instructions - can anyone help - I want to take the body off loco and tender and can't see how its done even with the service sheet which helps ……………………..

Thanks

Turn the loco upside down, take the two screws out at either end of the loco chassis, and front of the tender. The loco body lifts off, the tender body slide back( or is it forward ?) a few millimetres, and lifts off, as there is a location lug at the back.  :sungum:

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

I have in fact dramatically improved the running of this loco by tweaking the running width (track?) of the loco body wheels - does that make sense???

Edited by halsey

I have in fact dramatically improved the running of this loco by tweaking the running width (track?) of the loco body wheels - does that make sense???

Perfect sense, the running width or "back to back" measurement between the wheels on heritage RTR is often a bit too tight to suit modern track esp code 75 track    somewhere around 14.25 mm for old thick flange wheels and 14.75 mm for modern thin flange wheels usually does the trick.

The 4F driving wheels are quite nice really and I am converting a set to loco drive to replace a set of Romfords as I think they look better.

I would think the Tender drive remains a problem, ok they pull well with 6 traction tyres but they make the track filthy and jump about like an over excited frog when the wheels slip.  The Motor is cheap and nasty but seems to last so I have a devious plot to fit a longer armature shaft and turn one 90 degrees to use like the old Wrenn ringfield.  It probably wont work but hey nothing ventured....

• Like 2