RMweb

help with esu lokosound v4 and non dcc ready Bachmann prairie

postierich

hi i have fitted dcc chips and sound chips and speakers to dcc ready stuff but looking for help with a  Bachmann 45 xx without a ddc socket, it has a leaflet in the box from Bachmann about dcc fitting ir remove the two capacitors and solder the red and black wire to position to 4 and 3 grey and orange to 1 and to on the pcb board etc but what about the other colour wires on the decoder once the 8 pin socket is snipped off i know the two brown are for the speaker but what about the blue yellow etc do just tape them off out the way ??

hi i have fitted dcc chips and sound chips and speakers to dcc ready stuff but looking for help with a Bachmann 45 xx without a ddc socket, it has a leaflet in the box from Bachmann about dcc fitting ir remove the two capacitors and solder the red and black wire to position to 4 and 3 grey and orange to 1 and to on the pcb board etc but what about the other colour wires on the decoder once the 8 pin socket is snipped off i know the two brown are for the speaker but what about the blue yellow etc do just tape them off out the way ??

Unless you are fitting running lights, just tape over the end of each of the other wires individually and tuck them out of the way inside the body in case you might want to use them if you move the decoder to a different loco, making sure that they do not foul the motor or the gear train.

The other wires are:

White - Feed to front lamps

Yellow - Feed to the rear lamps

Green - Feed to Aux 1

Blue - Common return for each of the above.

Edited by GoingUnderground

yes, the additional wires are for lights, if you decide to run them ...

for your information, the blue is common positive voltage, usually 12v , but not always,

the function leads, white and yellow, are function enabled ground leads,

and should be on the negative side of leds, if you decide to run them instead of incandescents ..

and if nessecary, resistors will go in series with the function leads

I haven't seen the leaflet, so I don't know what it says, and I don't kmow the loco. Please make sure that there is absolutely no electrical connection, other than through the decoder, between the motor and the track, otherwise you will destroy the decoder ehen you put it on powered track. Normally this means cutting through the feed wires to each side of the motor in a non-DCC Ready loco and iserting the deoder at the cut, Red and Nlack to the cut ends that go to the track and the orange and grey the other way to the motor. Your very brief description of the instructions in the leaflet don't make it clear that the electrical connections between the motor and the track will be cut.