Godstone Road - Platforms and 3rd Rail

Lacathedrale

• RMweb Gold

it makes the double crossover in my station throat look a bit spotty - lots of short bits of conductor - 

Don't worry about it, it is what makes third rail so unique. By the way I chickened out of the ramps as well. No one in 20 exhibitions has ever commented!

The picture is a bit underwhelming, but it's been a couple of afternoons work to get the platform bulk down and trimmed/fettled and the facings attached. I'm 3/4 of the way through that now, Unfortunately, the height difference between the top of the edging and the surface of the platform is more like 1mm than 2mm, so the cork and wills paving I was aiming for just won't work. I'm thinking of using Woodland Scenics Tarmac - and suggestions gladly taken.

https://i.imgur.com/WpZXJKx.jpg

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Godstone Rd is now no more - as of this weekend the layout and stock have been offloaded via eBay.

I want to say that I learned alot from the layout - but in retrospect it was all lessons that I knew already but evidently needed reinforcement. I enjoy kit/scratchbuilding, hand laying track, and designing things. I hate baseboards, wiring, and all the supplementaries.

I still haven't finished a layout, and obviously an future layout will involve yet another foray into the seemingly endless purgatory of baseboards, electrics and underlay instead of actual model making. Were it not for my need to actually have a purpose for running trains, I often feel like I would be better off as a diorama maker...

That said, plans for a future layout are afoot.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest that you build the diorama/Cameo as a first step to building a layout.  A small project has more chance of completion and success. This will give you somewhere to play/test trains, you can then progress with a larger project. It tends to be projects that take several years to build that lose momentum and mojo, that end up failing, particularly those that are an individual project rather than a group effort.

• Agree 1