JMRI wireless throttle question

Marcyg

Hi, I've just bought a USB interface so I can plug a laptop into my layout. Obviously the laptop will have to connect to the internet to download the JMRI program and updates etc, but can I then connect it to a stand alone network to run the layout? I've got an old Sky router I was thinking of using, not have it connected to the internet, just to provide a wireless network phones and tablets can connect to, to provide throttles etc. Is this possible? Thanks

Hi Marc?

Yes it will run on its own local network if you want, or it'll run as part of your domestic network.

I take a manky old router around the shows with me so I can run LenzDCC to Lenz interface to laptop with JMRI to smartphones with Withrottle or Engine driver.

You haven't told us which DCC system or interface you have bought - some seem to be more user friendly than others.

Best

John K

Thanks John. I’m using NCE, which I understand has some limitations on JMRI but I have nothing fancy like automation or block detection. I wanted it really for the wireless throttle side as NCEs own wireless system has been described as ‘flakey’

Thanks John. I’m using NCE, which I understand has some limitations on JMRI but I have nothing fancy like automation or block detection. I wanted it really for the wireless throttle side as NCEs own wireless system has been described as ‘flakey’

Yes, an old router without up-stream connection should work.  Or a stand-alone device for the same (which I use at shows).  Or the laptop can be setup to act as an access point for wireless network, and thus creates a small stand-alone network.    The only issue may be that some phones (seen it with Apple iPhones) get upset at the lack of internet connection and decide to connect to another network which is in range instead (such as your home network if it comes into range, even if briefly). 

"USB Adaptor" for NCE.  If you have a PowerCab, then the NCE USB device is the correct thing to use.  

If you have a PowerPro system, then you should use the serial connection on the PowerPro, and then an generic Serial-USB converter to connect to the USB of the computer.    The wrong combination on PowerPro systems will give reduced functionality. 

Short answer is yes. My layout is operated via JMRI and MERG control circuits. A computer runs all the route setting, signal controls, layout lighting etc. via a touch screen (USB connected). Some video of it can be seen on our website at http://a19modelrailwayclub.org/layouts/alwinton/ it also appeared in the August, September and October 2017 Railway Modeller. Some photos are also on the RMweb Exhibition Layout database. JMRI can handle throttles for train control if required. I take it you are using the NCE Powercab as you mentioned the USB interface, the full PRO cab has a Computer interface built in.

Short answer is yes. My layout is operated via JMRI and MERG control circuits. A computer runs all the route setting, signal controls, layout lighting etc. via a touch screen (USB connected). Some video of it can be seen on our website at http://a19modelrailwayclub.org/layouts/alwinton/ it also appeared in the August, September and October 2017 Railway Modeller. Some photos are also on the RMweb Exhibition Layout database. JMRI can handle throttles for train control if required. I take it you are using the NCE Powercab as you mentioned the USB interface, the full PRO cab has a Computer interface built in.

Sorry, I didn't explain very well. I'm using a Power cab throttle, as it works for my programming track, but the layout is controlled from an SB5, which I've read is virtually the same as a Procab when the Powercab is plugged into it. I also use Tam Valley boosters, but these are on the track bus, so receive commands direct from the SB5 anyway

The only issue may be that some phones (seen it with Apple iPhones) get upset at the lack of internet connection and decide to connect to another network which is in range instead (such as your home network if it comes into range, even if briefly).

Some phones (only have Android) will refuse to connect to anything if there is no internet, until you find the setting to override that.

Sorry, I didn't explain very well. I'm using a Power cab throttle, as it works for my programming track, but the layout is controlled from an SB5, which I've read is virtually the same as a Procab when the Powercab is plugged into it. I also use Tam Valley boosters, but these are on the track bus, so receive commands direct from the SB5 anyway

JMRI will work with any NCE system, just the interface is different. There are operational differences between the Powercab and SB5, but it wont affect the JMRI interface.

As a long time user of the NCE Radio system, I can say operation is not "flakey". It has the limitation if layouts at an exhibition using radio are in close proximity there may be some interaction, but for home use this is not a problem. The NCE system is a duplex system so you get confirmation on the display that control messages have been received. However that is not the question here as it is intended to use a smart phone via a router for control.