Unusual lettering on BR Toad Brake Vans

Killybegs

A current offering from Hornby has a panel with lettering stating which two trains the brake van may be used on, see attached pic. I don't remember coming across this before. Can anyone shed any light on how often this was done.

post-7952-0-41041500-1539622717.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I don't know, but there is a picture in Barrie Walker's "Northern Steam Finale" (isbn 0710603754, Jane's, 1986) which, incidentally, shows a standard BR 20T Brake Van, B953630, as the first van behind the locos on a railtour over the Cromford & High Peak in 1967 and which bears the instructions: "RU Avonmouth  10.30am Avonmouth to Tavistock Jnc  7.30pm Tavistock Jnc to Avonmouth".

So, from this rather limited sample of one:

a. It wasn't restricted to ex-GWR designs on the WR

b. They still managed to wander

• RMweb Premium

A current offering from Hornby has a panel with lettering stating which two trains the brake van may be used on, see attached pic. I don't remember coming across this before. Can anyone shed any light on how often this was done.

attachicon.gifR6835.1.jpg

Not at all unusual - there are plenty of photos around which illustrate the allocated workings of ex-GWR TOAD brakevans.

Some of the wording was extremely complex; indicating the full operating diagram, including light engine / brakevan movements.

Regards,

John Isherwood.