TTS consisting

Marcyg

I've just fitted TTS to my two class 20's, for my weed killer train. I've managed to set a consist up, and they work great, however only the lead loco has sound. The sound chips work perfectly  when the locos run on their own, so how do I turn the sound on for the rear loco? I'm using NCE equipment. Thanks

The consist address will control both motors and each individual address will allow you to control that decoders functions.

Hence start up each loco individually, switch to consist address and move off, using lead locos address for horns.

At least that’s how it works on my Elite twin knob controller - consist address on knob 1 and individual addresses stacked on knob 2.

Rob

Rob is correct, you have to select the rear locos address and press F1 to start sound on that loco.  I have to do that with my pair of 20s and also the HST.

I use an NCE Powercab as well and found I could only use the "Old Style" consist and not an "Advanced Consist". Therefore I could only use 28 speed step control rather than 128.

Are you experiencing the same Marcyg?

CDF

I only have 1 TTS decoder but I believe they do not support advanced consisting,which is why I chose a class 60 instead of 2x class 20s to try it out.

Some functions may therefore only work on the lead loco. This may be undesirable if you are running locos in multiple & want to simulate them working hard, but may be fine if you can control compressors individually.

I have not given my Loksound v4 class 37s a thorough testing in this regard either.

I would be interested to hear your findings.

Cravensdmufan, you are right. TTS only supports old style consisting. NCE call it forced consisting. Thanks for the advice chaps. I’ll give it a go tomorrow. On another note, my 20 decoders have a new speaker supplied by Hornby, 20 x40 which sounds pretty good compared to the round ones

• Like 1

I have two Bachmann class 20's one fitted with a Hornby TTS Sound Decoder and the other just fitted with a Bachmann 21 pin decoder. When put together double heading with my Lenz DCC system the one with the normal decoder is a lot faster than  the Hornby fitted chip one. I am thinking this is due to the difference in the structure of the two chips and fitting both with a Hornby TTS would probably solve the problem anybody agree.

I have two Bachmann class 20's one fitted with a Hornby TTS Sound Decoder and the other just fitted with a Bachmann 21 pin decoder. When put together double heading with my Lenz DCC system the one with the normal decoder is a lot faster than  the Hornby fitted chip one. I am thinking this is due to the difference in the structure of the two chips and fitting both with a Hornby TTS would probably solve the problem anybody agree.

To be honest, my two Lima 20's start at different speeds. Some time adjusting CVs will be needed to stop them fighting. I'm pretty sure you can iron out your problems if you do the same. Although the chips are different, it's probably just as much down to the motor characteristics than it is the chip. I have 2 Hejan 33's, 1 needed no adjustments to run fine, the other has had pretty much every CV assigned to motor control adjusted. Both have the same chip.

Please be aware that ESU decoders (Loksound and LokPilot, and any rebadged 'own brand' decoders based upon them,including some Bachmann branded) use a different multiplication factor for CVs 3 and 4 from that specified in NMRA standards used by all other compliant decoder manufacturers.

I've never seen a convincing reason given for why ESU (uniquely?) do this, but it can completely disrupt speed matching/consisting if you simply use the same CV3 and CV4 values as those in other decoders. The values may match, but the effect they have is very different.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have fitted a TTS to both the Class 20’s now and they both run at the same speed and the sound also works on both. Happy person
  • Like 1

I have fitted a TTS to both the Class 20’s now and they both run at the same speed and the sound also works on both. Happy person

i forgot to mention I fitted a sugar cube speaker into both locos at the front behind the nose a perfect fit and sounds good.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a related query I believe.  Im keen on using a generic sound decoder in a "sound car"- an idea I heard about that is used in the States where a van or other general vehicle is sound equipped and consisted with the train engine to allow multiple use of generic diesel or steam sound.  In the case of a TTS decoder Im assuming it would rely on a motor being present in the circuit for pairing in the consist, or could I use a representative load?

Ive trialled a sound car prototype using a CCT and MRC sound decoder that has worked ok and that circuit needed a motor to pair in the consist.

cheers

dave

This is a related query I believe.  Im keen on using a generic sound decoder in a "sound car"- an idea I heard about that is used in the States where a van or other general vehicle is sound equipped and consisted with the train engine to allow multiple use of generic diesel or steam sound.  In the case of a TTS decoder Im assuming it would rely on a motor being present in the circuit for pairing in the consist, or could I use a representative load?

Ive trialled a sound car prototype using a CCT and MRC sound decoder that has worked ok and that circuit needed a motor to pair in the consist.

cheers

dave

I don't believe a TTS decoder necessarily needs a motor. My Hornby factory fitted Valenta HST has a TTS decoder in the unpowered dummy car and consists ok with the motorised power car (albeit using "old style" 28 step consisting as mentioned above).

• Like 1

The TTS diesel decoder does not need a motor load to function. The TTS steamers however rely on BEMF to control chuffs and they do need a motor load.

Any decoder may need a load to send an ACK (acknowledgement) whilst programming but this is more controller dependant not down to the decoder. Many controllers will happily program a decoder without a motor load.

Just be aware that if you temporarily apply a dummy load for programming such as a 100ohm resistor, do not apply throttle as it will cook the resistor and my melt your loco.

Rob

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi.  I appreciate this thread is now a few years old but I wondered if anyone can throw a little more light on the subject or have developed a work around.  I have two Lima class 43 power cars each fitted with Hornby Valenta decoders which I want to run as a consist.  I use NCE powercab. As stated above Hornby chips dont allow advanced consisting and they have to be set up as 'old type'.  I can set both units sound on before configuring the consist but after a derail only the lead unit can be accessed and reactivated as NCE powercab won't allow access to any other loco while consist is active meaning I have to delete the consist before restarting the trailing unit.  There was a suggestion about using a second controller to stack the units and access them separately but obviously I can't do that with only one controller.  Grateful for any more info on this.