Platform height

Guest mydadstoys

Guest mydadstoys

Afternoon all can anyone on the forum tell me what height an n gauge platform should be from baseboard to platform edge.

The overall height will depend on the thickness of your track construction. Best to work out the height of the platform surface from the top of the rail. This has been discussed extensively elsewhere, but, assuming you're modelling British railways, the height is nominally around 3 feet or so, up to, I believe, 3' 6", so allow 6-7 mm in N scale, from rail head, then add the depth of your track build up.

Platforms are always lower than the centre line of the buffers which is about 3ft 3" nominal in the UK or 6.5mm so 6mm maximum.  Many are considerably lower. I don't know of any higher.   I made my platforms too high and they look awful (See Pic) but its too much hassle to lower them, might lift the tracks a bit one day.

I took some pics at the NYMR last week to show platform height, in both cases the camera was on the platform. 5MT at Grosmont, coach at Pickering

post-21665-0-09983700-1539742935_thumb.jpg

post-21665-0-65438600-1539742987_thumb.jpg

post-21665-0-98158500-1539770528_thumb.jpg

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 2

The following diagram shows that for 1950, the standard height of the platform above the rails was 2'9" - 3' which is 6mm in N gauge.

Peco N gauge track is 3.5-4mm high so if you putting your track and platform on the same surface, you will need a platform that is roughly 10mm high from the baseboard.

2_040306_490000000.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Platforms are always lower than the centre line of the buffers which is about 3ft 3" nominal in the UK or 6.5mm so 6mm maximum.  Many are considerably lower. I don't know of any higher.   I made my platforms too high and they look awful (See Pic) but its too much hassle to lower them, might lift the tracks a bit one day.

I took some pics at the NYMR last week to show platform height, in both cases the camera was on the platform. 5MT at Grosmont, coach at Pickering

Platform height were laid down in the Board of Trade Requirements. Prior to the 1902 amendment these stated that the height should be no less than 2' 6" above rail. In 1902 this was changed to shall be 3' except in exceptional circumstances.

Pickering and Grosmont predated the 1902 Requirements and these were only mandatory for new works and alterations. This is why it is possible to find platforms with one section at 2' 6" and a later extension at 3' above rail.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Premium

Pickering and Grosmont predated the 1902 Requirements and these were only mandatory for new works and alterations. This is why it is possible to find platforms with one section at 2' 6" and a later extension at 3' above rail.

Which could give some oddities - here's Whaley Bridge in early times, after the platform was extended:

http://www.negh.co.uk/whaleybridgephotos/photo.php?where=2&dorder=1&photo=683

Never gets any peace, that platform. It's been rebuilt at least twice since that photo (I think), the last time just a few years ago.

• 4 years later...

Just came across this very useful thread. One thing I was told was to be very careful to judge the distance of the platform edging, so as it doesn’t catch the running gear of Farish steam locos - as the gear is slightly ‘oversized’…