• 1 month later...

Not much has been happening on New Ankh recently, although it has acquired a new engine. I’ve found that larger engines overwhelm the scene, so I picked a cheapo Hornby tank engine up and set about it with a razor saw to make it look a bit more old-fashioned.

BC82919F-D7AD-488E-8E92-AA8416E9CD64.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Apologies for going slightly OT here, but which book is the best to start with? I believe Colour of magic is the first but I have heard that it's not very good and not a good way to get into the series. is this true?

Thanks

Luke

• RMweb Premium

Luke:

https://imgur.com/a/Yqipw

gives direction so you can follow casts of characters in order.

I would give you Wyrd Sisters as a start.  Mort also.  Guards! Guards!

If you have a background in science fiction/fantasy you would get the satires in The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic (really one story).

The little green circles on the chart are short stories that may be hard to find. Some of the blue circles are offshoot books.

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 14:22, Edwardian said:

How are things in New Ankh, it's been a while?

There are a few new residents and there is a new locomotive under construction, but otherwise I fear it's been a little quiet - real life has been getting in the way, as it has an irritating tendency to do. I'll have to post some pictures next time I haul it out of its cupboard.

I also have this annoying way of getting a layout nearly finished and then thinking, "Eh, I'll do those little bits at some point. On to the next project!" With that in mind, a pre-grouping micro-layout is in its early stages. Not gonna lie, the locomotives of New Ankh are almost certainly going to show up.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

22 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

There are a few new residents and there is a new locomotive under construction, but otherwise I fear it's been a little quiet - real life has been getting in the way, as it has an irritating tendency to do. I'll have to post some pictures next time I haul it out of its cupboard.

I also have this annoying way of getting a layout nearly finished and then thinking, "Eh, I'll do those little bits at some point. On to the next project!" With that in mind, a pre-grouping micro-layout is in its early stages. Not gonna lie, the locomotives of New Ankh are almost certainly going to show up.

Yes, we many of us find Life gets in the way.  as and when, though, we'd be glad to see more.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/04/2019 at 04:00, BR60103 said:

If you have a background in science fiction/fantasy you would get the satires in The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic (really one story). ......

First read "Ringworld" by Larry Niven, then read The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, it shows how good Terry was from the first Discworld novels..

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 years later...

I absolutely loved reading through this thread and pleased to hear of so many characters finding their way into the thread. Will ‘Piss Harry’ be having a tanker wagon on the railway? Probably my favourites were ‘Going Postal’, ‘Monsterous Regiment’ and ‘Making Money’. Favourite character, Twoflower. Is ‘The Luggage’ anywhere? I won’t be involving myself in any societies or reunions, got luggage of my own, but the plays I have seen were enjoyable.

• Like 1