I was going to ask the significance of the railway’s lawyer being called Thunderbolt, but then it struck me that it wasn’t a reference to a lawyer involved in railway matters of this world.

Edited to clarify no pun was intended.

Edited by Tortuga
  • Like 1

I decided that what this layout needed, to give it a bit more point, was a little goods platform. I scratchbuilt one out of mounting board (10p from my local art shop) with Metcalfe brickwork and paving slabs. I used my old favourite, pound shop eyeshadow, to weather it.

post-31781-0-98180000-1543959788_thumb.jpeg

I’ve also added a pair of Peco buffer stops and weathered the track a bit.

• Like 7

A goods station really needs a crane, so I decided to try out this example by Metcalfe. This is a new one from them, and I have to say, it went together really nicely. It’s not the cheapest on the market, but it’s a perfect fit for New Ankh. It took me just over an hour to build. It’s pictured here in situ with the contractors’ loco.

post-31781-0-64964700-1544045431_thumb.jpeg

post-31781-0-64964700-1544045431_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

I really like how this is coming together, you can just imagine Colon and Nobby walking down that street trying not to see anything amiss.

Your username amuses me too, my best mate turned up on the other forum I use with under the handle Dodgytom.

If you look in the link on my signiture below there is my take on Ankh Morpork which could really do with popping down from the loft for a bit soon.

I really like how this is coming together, you can just imagine Colon and Nobby walking down that street trying not to see anything amiss.

Your username amuses me too, my best mate turned up on the other forum I use with under the handle Dodgytom.

If you look in the link on my signiture below there is my take on Ankh Morpork which could really do with popping down from the loft for a bit soon.

I followed your layout link, Hesperus; it looks very interesting too, and very amusing. I obviously missed seeing it at the time your originally posted, but better late than never.

As to names, all we need now is CMOT Tom! I'm sure that one would be a stage beyond 'dodgy'.  :D

Edited by SRman

Ah yes, a layout that pre-dates the actual arrival of railways on the Disc! Evidently the History Monks have been at work.

Thanks as ever for the kind comments, folks. I’m soon going to be at the really fun part - adding figures. Here are a few in primer.

post-31781-0-13381300-1544055615_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

An incomplete thought

for trolls, could you start with large scale figures and modify them?

do you you any manufacturers that might let you have bad attempts at casting?

Would a scale smaller do for dwarves?

• Like 1

An incomplete thought

for trolls, could you start with large scale figures and modify them?

do you you any manufacturers that might let you have bad attempts at casting?

Would a scale smaller do for dwarves?

For dwarves, my plan is to cut down some of the Airfix Ancient Britons, who I reckon would look the part (and I already have). I'm not sure about trolls - if they feature, I might well try to sculpt them myself. Ditto golems, gnolls and whatever else might show up. I suppose I could use T-gauge figures for gnomes?

• Like 2

I planned to install fencing today, but instead I painted and installed my first figures. Here, an over-zealous railway policeman jeopardises his promotion prospects by failing to recognize Sir Harry King.

post-31781-0-73355900-1544135154_thumb.jpeg

The railway may be new, but that doesn’t mean the old skills aren’t transferable. For instance, Mr Perkins here used to be a hangman. Handle with care, Mr Perkins!

post-31781-0-94308900-1544135043_thumb.jpeg

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 7

This is my first modified figure. It started out as an Airfix Friar Tuck, but the addition of a battered pointy hat and beard turned him into a wizard. The wizards of Discworld tend to be fat old duffers who’d rather bicker and eat enormous amounts of food than probe the mysteries of the universe, which sounds like a pretty sweet life to me. They’re my favourite characters, so of course one was going to show up on New Ankh.
post-31781-0-46211300-1544383257_thumb.jpeg

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 6
  • Funny 1

Will Death be making an appearance?

Death has to be a defo somewhere I m sure, the wizard looks very good!!

Simon

As it happens, Noch do a Grim Reaper figure, so he'll almost certainly be making an appearance.

Interesting fact: in the map Death's Domain, published several years before Raising Steam, Pterry describes Death as the sort of person who would become a train spotter in the event that railways ever came to the Disc. So I think he's going to be by the lineside.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This is my first modified figure. It started out as an Airfix Friar Tuck, but the addition of a battered pointy hat and beard turned him into a wizard. The wizards of Discworld tend to be fat old duffers who’d rather bicker and eat enormous amounts of food than probe the mysteries of the universe, which sounds like a pretty sweet life to me. They’re my favourite characters, so of course one was going to show up on New Ankh.

attachicon.gif07133D7C-58AA-4AB0-BE05-0DF145372097.jpeg

Shouldn't he have a staff (with a knob on the end)?

Andi

For dwarves, my plan is to cut down some of the Airfix Ancient Britons, who I reckon would look the part (and I already have). I'm not sure about trolls - if they feature, I might well try to sculpt them myself. Ditto golems, gnolls and whatever else might show up. I suppose I could use T-gauge figures for gnomes?

Try searching for Dungeons & Dragons figures on-line - there is just about anything you can think of available - Dwarves, Goblins, Zombies, Trolls, Humans in a range of forms, Dragons, Vampires, Werewolves .....................

Try searching for Dungeons & Dragons figures on-line - there is just about anything you can think of available - Dwarves, Goblins, Zombies, Trolls, Humans in a range of forms, Dragons, Vampires, Werewolves .....................

The only issue there is that D&D are a larger scale then Tom is using, 28mm scale figures are much larger than OO scale figures. I am using D&D etc for my version - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137363-ankh-morpork-light-railway/

Yeah, I know, a lack of recent updates due to all sorts of personal/family issues but will be on the go again soon.

A[pologies for the hijack there, back to this thread, I am liking what I am seeing so far, keep up the great work Tom.

Best wishes and Merry Hogswatch!!

Simon

The only issue there is that D&D are a larger scale then Tom is using, 28mm scale figures are much larger than OO scale figures. I am using D&D etc for my version - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137363-ankh-morpork-light-railway/

Yeah, I know, a lack of recent updates due to all sorts of personal/family issues but will be on the go again soon.

A[pologies for the hijack there, back to this thread, I am liking what I am seeing so far, keep up the great work Tom.

Best wishes and Merry Hogswatch!!

Simon

No worries, that's pretty much what I was about to say. There are some fantasy figures available in 1/72 scale, which many of my figures are, but they tend to be based around a combat setting (understandably) and so would be hard to use without some major surgery. Actually, I am planning on including an altercation between some barbarian invaders and the City Watch just so I can use some of the figures without major alteration.

• Like 1

No worries, that's pretty much what I was about to say. There are some fantasy figures available in 1/72 scale, which many of my figures are, but they tend to be based around a combat setting (understandably) and so would be hard to use without some major surgery. Actually, I am planning on including an altercation between some barbarian invaders and the City Watch just so I can use some of the figures without major alteration.

Just have a game of foot-the-ball going somewhere; you can use as many combative figures as you want then! ;)

• Like 1

Panic on the streets of New Ankh! What started out as a simple misunderstanding over group fares has turned into a minor barbarian invasion. The Watch is on the scene, as Mr Vimes tends to take that sort of thing personally.

post-31781-0-73004300-1545093760_thumb.jpeg

The scene attracts the attention of onlookers.

post-31781-0-65287800-1545093845_thumb.jpeg

The genteel Parkinson family take in the street theatre. Being well brought up, the girls are going to be discreet about asking Mr Dibbler who’s offering good odds on the fight.

post-31781-0-36827000-1545093975_thumb.jpeg

Yes, Mr Claude Maximilian Overton Transpire Dibbler is there too, watching with interest (interest set at very competitive rates).

post-31781-0-04072400-1545094100_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7