Peco code 100 diamond crossing sl93

banburysaint

Its a design fault as the wheel treads can bridge the two converging but insulated rails at the frog.   Converting to electrofrog by bonding the two frog rails and swiching frog polarity should cure it but it can be loco wheels or stock wheels so it may not work with a frog juicer. A nice arrow head metal point frog is a nice touch but not necessary to solve the short.   The Peco has a lump of plastic causing a dead area at mid point, some locos stall on it, 2-8-0s without sprung middle wheels and the Wrenn 8f in particular so I cut it away and slide the rails in so they touch and solder them  Then I wire the two frogs and the two outer rails to a 4 pole change over relay. You also need to break some of the links to the inner rails and feed only them from the adjacent frog.    With DCC you can connect the two outer rails to the bus and just use a two pole relay of switch , but mine are fed from a micro switch on the adjacent point, which has authority over whether the diamond is set straight through or across.  Mine has worked with no attention for 30 odd years...

However another manufacturers RTR live frog diamond might be less aggro

Edited by DavidCBroad

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The cheapest solution is nail-varnish. I prefer clear, but YMMV. If you coat the railheads of the affected area you lose conductivity, but also the short. The cost of a bottle of varnish is not a lot. If it doesn't work you have lost very little. 

• Like 1