London Euston Station - 50th Anniversary

Some interesting photos there.

It looked nice before its rebuild, but I can't imagine it could have half the number of passengers using the place today.

I can see why the Doric Arch had to be moved: it is halfway down where platforms 8-11 are today, but surely rebuilding it at the entrance may have been possible, but I guess there was less building protection back then.

Love the Kangaroo escaping !!!!, a pity the Arch and Great Hall had to go though.

I have mixed emotions re Euston - I visited on many weekends in the early 70's, my sister lived in London and having just started work I visited (and shed bashed) London often. The last train to get home at a decent time was the 19.05, I loved the huge, clicking Solari indicator - scanning it for my home town. I never lingered at Euston, not one minute, it was too modern and antiseptic for me even back then (though I loved the 'leckys up to Crewe) - It was Kings Cross / Paddington for me (Deltics & Westerners) !!

I had the misfortune to go there a while ago - still a horrible station, nowhere to sit, trains announced at last minute and a subsequent mad panic rush to the platform - not for us though with reserved seats. Nice to get on the 21.10 to Wigan, see the "OFF" signal followed by "RA" - Out of London homeward bound at 100+mph. !!

Brit15

• Like 1

I had the misfortune to go there a while ago - still a horrible station, nowhere to sit, trains announced at last minute and a subsequent mad panic rush to the platform - not for us though with reserved seats. Nice to get on the 21.10 to Wigan, see the "OFF" signal followed by "RA" - Out of London homeward bound at 100+mph. !!

Brit15

The last minute announcements are an annoyance, but of the London termini that I use with any regularity it is well equipped with seating (check the balcony). I suspect it's actually the last minute platform announcements that make it seem otherwise. If they'd announce them 5 minutes earlier then you'd be sitting on the train rather than anxiously hanging around by the boards...

I rather like Euston in a 60s modern kind of way. But then my favourite WCML stations are Stafford and Coventry, both examples of the same era (the booking hall at Coventry is a particularly good space, like a glass & concrete Surbiton, but not quite as good as that). I think Wolverhampton is from the same era, but that's a dump.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think Euston is very maligned. The floor is lovely (if you've never done so before then have a look at the marble used), the roof is noticed by very few but is very nicely done and it is a very logically laid out and easy to use station with all of the platforms in a straight line and with easy access from the main concourse. As a passenger I find it probably the best of the large London termini station to use.

• Like 1

I think Euston is very maligned. The floor is lovely (if you've never done so before then have a look at the marble used), the roof is noticed by very few but is very nicely done and it is a very logically laid out and easy to use station with all of the platforms in a straight line and with easy access from the main concourse. As a passenger I find it probably the best of the large London termini station to use.

Me too.

From a practical perspective, its biggest flaw is the entrance at Euston Square being the wrong end of the platforms. It seems that the Metropolitan Railway & LNWR did not like each other. It would have been nice is this had been re-designed in the 1960s too.

....From a practical perspective, its biggest flaw is the entrance at Euston Square being the wrong end of the platforms. It seems that the Metropolitan Railway & LNWR did not like each other.

It would have been nice is this had been re-designed in the 1960s too.

That's about to be finally sorted out with the HS2 Euston re-build.

• RMweb Gold

I think the present Euston, which has, in fairness, improved since Privatisation with additions like the balcony already referred to, was a compromise in the late '60s because property developer plans fell through. I was told the whole story about 30 years ago by a BR Property Board chap, but the detail has evaporated since. Since he and I were working on redesigning East Croydon, which few would now regard as a shining example of modern station design, but needed to keep within a fixed sum, I could empathise with the Euston team of the time. 

Missed it by a week.

Last week saw the 50th anniversary of opening of the redeveloped (1968) Euston Station.

Some wonderful photos in this Blog......

https://www.hydeparknow.uk/2018/10/14/euston-station-anniversary-special/

What I find curious about the 1909 picture is that a lot of the track in the station throat is embedded in stone setts as if it's a dockyard or a goods yard!