Differences between a mk2 RLO and RFB

Craig G

Hello,

As the title states I was wondering what the differences are between a mk2 RLO and a RFB. I’m modelling the Inverness sleeper circa 1999. I know that at least one RFB was used (1217 I believe) but the rest of the fleet were RLOs. With Bachmanns new RFB I am going to add one to my fleet but this has got me wondering if I would be able to change it into a RLO. To my untrained eye they look to be the same but I was hoping somebody with more knowledge than myself could shed some light on any differences between the two. Thanks.

The later RLOs were more in line with RFBs than the original RLO's. The early RLOs has the end two windows blanked out but retained the frames. The later ones AFAIK 6705-6708 had the windows completely filled in as per the RFB. There were interior difference in the bar area and having loose chairs instead of fixed IC70 seats but the exterior is similar. The option would be whether the model had Temp Ltd a/c (single fan) or Stones a/c (twin fan). There are both variants of a/c in both the RLOs and RFBs    

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1