Bonsai RhB in Nm9

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

With a few new boards on the way I decided I needed some return loops to return trains while I build up the scenic modules to save building two yards that take up as much room as the stations. I looked at digital control of the return loop but it’s very expensive for two separate modules that really are a temporary fix. As a result there will be a little gate that has to be manually moved over to switch the loop polarity. It costs a few pence instead of £90 😉

7452D67C-BC62-4C3F-B273-4B77E766D03D.jpeg.354550b4633ba52a7d1a396079641dbd.jpeg

They’ll have a single leg and a flat tunnel mouth scene break to offstage. 

1117BB3A-7D54-4BC2-A76F-F5EAEBA9F5A8.jpeg.9d9dbfc9b181e65a9ad7954bed48fd56.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Vecchio said:

If you use a reverser switch which isn't fully electronic (means has a relay)  you are in the game with approximately 30 to 35£ per loop.

I’ve seen warnings though that the slower switching doesn’t do the wheels much good long term from the arcing of the short? These are just space savers if I’m running a small setup I don’t really need auto operation as stopping the train provides a bit more time off scene. 

• RMweb Premium

Well I have 40 cheap autofrog units on my layout -they have the same problem. But I think that a model locomotive will be dead by motor or gear problems before the corrosion from the sparks kills it. In my opinion the manufacturers of the better (and expensive) units are seeding the seeds for the spark problem stories as they want to sell their expensive stuff... 😆🙂

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The insulated loop is 49” / 1240mm and a loco and GEX set including loco is 35” / 890mm long. If I use the manual gate and switch I reckon the gate will knock 2” / 50mm off that but still should hold a loco and 8 coaches. 
The board is 27” / 680mm long by 16” / 410mm wide.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Four 6ft long modules I’ve designed, inspired by rather than scale models. 

Nm9 BonsaiRhB

Plus a possible setup including the existing Rhätia module. 

5463A09A-4C8D-49C0-A97B-73EAA0F7B8ED.jpeg.ec8df0cb35feeee634a986bf0b1e5e97.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
On 11/06/2022 at 20:34, PaulRhB said:

With a few new boards on the way I decided I needed some return loops to return trains while I build up the scenic modules to save building two yards that take up as much room as the stations. I looked at digital control of the return loop but it’s very expensive for two separate modules that really are a temporary fix. As a result there will be a little gate that has to be manually moved over to switch the loop polarity. It costs a few pence instead of £90 😉

7452D67C-BC62-4C3F-B273-4B77E766D03D.jpeg.354550b4633ba52a7d1a396079641dbd.jpeg

They’ll have a single leg and a flat tunnel mouth scene break to offstage. 

1117BB3A-7D54-4BC2-A76F-F5EAEBA9F5A8.jpeg.9d9dbfc9b181e65a9ad7954bed48fd56.jpeg

On 12/06/2022 at 10:08, PaulRhB said:

The insulated loop is 49” / 1240mm and a loco and GEX set including loco is 35” / 890mm long. If I use the manual gate and switch I reckon the gate will knock 2” / 50mm off that but still should hold a loco and 8 coaches. 
The board is 27” / 680mm long by 16” / 410mm wide.

Could I ask what thickness the ply is (my apologies if its mentioned on a previous page - I couldn’t spot it)?  I ask as the edges are unsupported at the curved end, which made me curious.  Your woodwork is certainly much neater and cleaner than mine!

Based on the ruler and dimensions quoted, I’m assuming the end curve uses the 150mm minimum radius (so works for Nm9 but maybe not other N-Scale).  I was going to ask where the Landquart Turntable module fitted into the schematic as I didn’t see it at first, but I notice it’s now showing.  

Now I’ve funded what I want to do in H0e / HOn30, I’m back to debating with myself between more H0m (which I know I’d like) or trying Nm9 (which I worry is too small for me), hence my continued / renewed interest.  Hope it’s Ok to ask.  Thanks, Keith.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Could I ask what thickness the ply is

9mm Keith. That’s plenty strong enough over the short overhang.

20 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Based on the ruler and dimensions quoted, I’m assuming the end curve uses the 150mm minimum radius (so works for Nm9 but maybe not other N-Scale).

Yes correct it’s very much designed for this as to be useful with the 009 they would need to be 305mm radius and end up 2.5x 3ft + and I don’t really need 009 ones. 

23 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

I was going to ask where the Landquart Turntable module fitted into the schematic

Anywhere! 😉 Ultimately it will usually live next to ‘Graubunden’ but that’s a later build anyway. I consider the turntable module as a fun display diorama so it can standalone for now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, JimFin said:

That station looks a tad familiar! 😉 Hope it goes well.

It should do as you made it 😆 Thanks Jim. I extracted the boards from the spare room this afternoon so looking forward to detailing them. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Love the ideas that you have with these layouts and the modular approach.  Really does give food for thought, that compact return cover from Nm9 really does open some possibilities for a small layout.  Following along, also registered on the RhB forum you mentioned, some great RhB modelling on there too.

Definitely needs to see more images of your layouts! Especially since the image crash with rmWeb.

Rich

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I’ve ordered a 10x4ft banner to try out the backscene idea. It arrived today and has been unfolded and rolled to smooth it out. It wasn’t due for another week so I hadn’t ordered the frame to hang it on yet to try it out. It’s not perfect as the image is a bit lower res than I really want but we will see how it looks in use as I don’t think that will matter. 
once it’s flatter from being rolled I’ll try to figure out how to test it without the full frame. Otherwise it’ll have to wait for the club open day in March to test the idea. 
I’d looked at foamex boards but this is so much cheaper and easier to store so time will tell 😉
IMG_3367.jpeg.6be73dbcb135e2bae1ad9560ddc5afd6.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Interesting backscene!

I know what you mean about low res but there are positives in this. Sometimes prints that are so crisp just look like photos and it is really difficult to see past that (no pun intended).

But slightly hazy backscenes can work well and the difference between the layout and the scene is no so sharply defined and difficult to disguise.

Enjoy the rolling out and ironing of the backscene Paul!

:-) 

Picture attached uses a Vollmer backscene which when I go it out of the tube I was disappointed with because it was more low res than anticipated but in hindsight it works well.

Kind regards,

Peter

rheidol lr.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, swisspeat said:

Interesting backscene!

I know what you mean about low res but there are positives in this. Sometimes prints that are so crisp just look like photos and it is really difficult to see past that (no pun intended).

But slightly hazy backscenes can work well and the difference between the layout and the scene is no so sharply defined and difficult to disguise.

Enjoy the rolling out and ironing of the backscene Paul!

:-) 

Picture attached uses a Vollmer backscene which when I go it out of the tube I was disappointed with because it was more low res than anticipated but in hindsight it works well.

Kind regards,

Peter

rheidol lr.jpg

Thanks Peter

I’ll be using them like this and that’s exactly my thoughts on definition too. 

IMG_5301.jpeg.59bdbf8b18bda1e06c633751e473f807.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Next it’s the proper modules turn at the Wimborne club open day. 

IMG_4800.jpeg.f076bf06c5e6a41ea96d929f44b46be3.jpeg

Control panel and routes prepped and ready to test. Still tweaking the buttons to make it as intuitive as possible. The round route buttons are the exits to a route with an arrow above showing the direction of travel. 
The two lit up green show a route from the right through the goods loop, nearest the station building, and back out onto the main line. 

IMG_4685.jpeg.0ca7f70aeb6067493272934ea06810ef.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

First off the control panel is done and ready for testing. 

IMG_4844.jpeg.485494b91a4c42e3788488156455189d.jpeg

And a temporary FY until I build more modules. 

IMG_4873.jpeg.1f6d73c156edd32dc1cfbae2edc5c5dd.jpeg
the kickback sidings will have railers on them to make swapping locos easy. Points have been dumped in a box for years and can easily be removed once more is built. 

IMG_4872.jpeg.a7c434f5d7438c9262acc9a0ffff8bf3.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I’ve got the masts up in the station, wires aren’t happening in N as they will get trashed moving it around if to scale and this is more about overall impression. 

BonsaiRhB

• Like 11