Tanfield Railway

jukebox

Hi Chaps;

A bit of a long-distance request:

I'm building an kit of an RSH 0-6-0 saddle tank, very similar to Chislet, a YE manufactured version that makes it's home at Quainton Road.

Apparently, a dismantled RSH example is at Tanfield (possibly the only existing RSH example).

I'm on the other side of the globe and can't get there myself, but was wondering if anyone who may be visiting might be able to take a look (and possibly a few photos) for me? Having scoured the WWW for months, I have yet to find a single photo of an RSH build (they have distinctly different cabs).

Regards

Scott

Hi Scott I did visit there late last year but I only got the one shot of the loco I think your after, take a look anyway: 5XPs Gallery

Darren.

Bingo! Yes, Darren, you managed to capture the beast in question in this photo! Strangely, the tank on this example extends back across the top of the firebox... and the cab and bunker profile do not match the kit details, so I think there may have been some mods done. The poor girl looks to have had a hard last few weeks from the bent footplate and cylinder cover!

Hello Scott, if you follow the link to the site below theres a gallery of my visits to Tanfield. If the engine isnt there drop me a line as I will probably go again soon....

Nice gallery David. As you can see from Darren's photo, the RSH 0-6-0 is derelict, so hasn't made it to your collection. Given the state it's in, and that I am chasing the detail of a reversing lever housing on the right hand cab front ~ which by the looks of things on the Tanfield sample has been modified from as built ~ I'm just going to make an educated call and place it on my model anyway.

Thank you both for your replies.

Regards

Scott

The actual engine you want is not the one in the photo, it is 7035 of 1940 that you need, which does have the cab cut short. It's in bits at the mo and I will scour the archive for a photo of it in one piece. It worked at Lysaght's, Scunthorpe, the loco in the picture is 7944, an ex NCB Celynen South loco.

Cheers

Anthony

The actual engine you want is not the one in the photo, it is 7035 of 1940 that you need, which does have the cab cut short. It's in bits at the mo and I will scour the archive for a photo of it in one piece. It worked at Lysaght's, Scunthorpe, the loco in the picture is 7944, an ex NCB Celynen South loco.

Cheers

Anthony

The plot thickens... Thanks for that, Anthony. The notes in the kit do say "dismantled" so that now makes sense. I assume 7944 is an RSH loco, too? If someone was keen they could kitbash one from the Agenoria kit!

There are a few prototype shots surfacing over on my build thread (Agenoria RSH 0-6-0) in the Kitbuilding Forum, but images of the RSH examples are elusive.

Thanks again all for your interest!

• 1 year later...

I've had a look through my photographs taken at Tanfield in 2009 and I have an almost identical view of RSH7800 as Darren (5XP)

5747957242_9ebf18c8ae_b.jpg

I also took a couple of detail shots of the damaged cylinder

5747956744_5033a26929_b.jpg

...and the rusty motion

5747409047_988816a4b3_b.jpg

I took quite a few other images of rusty industrial locomotives reposing at Marley Hill but nothing else that looks as though it might be your prototype. I will be visiting Marley Hill some time this summer and if you can find out if the beastie in question is in bits or rusting peacefully in the yard I'll take a few piccies for you. It may be a week or two though. Oh and I live in Darlington so if anyone has information on the whereabouts and/or condition of the Darlington example I'll happily shoot that for you as well

My Flickr Photostream - I'll add some more photos from my visit as soon as I've posted this.

Regards

Archived