Z21 export - android to iPad

clecklewyke

Can a Z21 layout database be exported from an Android device to an iPad?

I have a Z21 database (= configuration file) on my Samsung phone which I have been trying to import into an iPad. I get as far as clicking on the Z21 configuration file attached to the email in the iPad and responding to the prompt to identify the name of the layout but then just get transferred to the home page of the Z21 app, which does not have the downloaded file.

I conclude that either the layout database comes in two distinct flavours, Android and iPad, with no means of converting one ro the other, or I am doing something wrong.

Help, pease!

Ian

The Android phone has version 2.6.5 and the iPad is 2.3.21. That is the latest version I can find on the iPad App Store. I don’t want to downgrade my phone for fear of losing my layout database.

I am reminded that some time ago a friend managed to import my layout on to his iPhone so I think I am doing someone wrong, but what?

Ian

Ian

I have sent you some emails to provide the answer for you but to help others I will also answer here.

There are 2 versions of the Z21 app on the iPhone and iPad and when exporting from the Android version you need to have the same version of the app on the Apple device as you have on the Android device, the app will not upgrade from the old version of Android to the new Apple version which was the OP problem.

If you have the same version on both side it works perfectly :)

Ian

If you have the same version on both side it works perfectly :)

Yes but...

If you cannot import a layout database created with a different version of the Z21 software I think it means you have to rebuild the database if you want to use a new version of the Z21 app.

That must be wrong?

Ian

Many people have successfully exported the loco database to the new versions of the old app, but they have recreated the track diagram as that is completely different between the old and new apps.

I also know that several have migrated the ‘track layout’ from the old to the new but they have lost the pictures as the new app doesn’t display pictures of the track.

It may save you a little bit of time and exporting without the images.

It isn’t the first app or programme that has changed structure with an upgrade and it won’t be the last - thankfully it isn’t a major corporate system the involves to data transformation exercise cost several tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of pounds to achieve the upgrade ;)