Class 92

Hello all, just picked up a Lima class 92, steal at £28 and the body's fantastic! But it seems at some point another Motor has been fitted alongside the original and both are operating plus it's been DCC chipped! Has anyone had experience of this or do this as I'm abit stumbled by it I also don't really understand dcc I understand the basics but past that I'm lost!! Also anyone know how to add pictures as I've got pics!! And lastly anyone know of any cast buffers or am I better of making my own true rectangle buffers?

• Like 1

Hi there

What exactly are you wanting to do with tge loco besides the obvious running of it, are you thinking of upgrading the drive system or just in terms of detailing it.

If you are talking aboiy upgrading the drive in terms of the motors, you can purchase CD/DVD drawer motors from ebay and as long as they are rated to take 9 - 12 volts they will work well, I am not too sure about how well they would perform on dcc as my railway is dc only.

So on that basis alone I have to ask the next question being is your railway dc or dcc.

As to how to add pictures on here, if you look at the bottom right you will see a box that says reply with attachments and using this you will see a box that says about choosing a picture and you can add as many pictures into your reply.

Now here is the but ( theres always a but aint there ), the pictures must be each under 1 megabyte ( MB ) in size before the site will accept them.

Hope this helps.

Hi there! I'm more interested as to why the extra motor was added!, I've not got a layout as of et here's some pictures

post-35361-0-93395200-1541778207_thumb.jpg

post-35361-0-43868100-1541778273_thumb.jpg

Hi peters spares do excellent cast buffers for the 92 , and as to your extra motor question...it's one of those and why not answers, it can provide extra traction.... and otherwise it's just that someone fancied doing it . I asked my self the same question when I picked up a Hornby 86 .., with the original bogies... but twin Lima class 87 power units and wheels...so no rhyme or reason really... but I stand to be corrected!!

Guest teacupteacup

Quickest and easiest way to sort the erratic running out is to remove the power to the 2nd bogie (the one in the first pic is a Hornby motor so probably the additional one), and remove the gears on it.  This will allow it to freewheel

Coming in a little late here, I agree that for double-motoring anything, you need two matched motors. I did this with an early Triang Hymek, with two pre-ringfield motor bogies wired together (and on DCC with one decoder) and it runs beautifully.

For my Hornby class 92, I did something a lot more drastic: I used a Hornby class 60 chassis (central can motor with flywheels and all-wheel drive) with a few of the top edges milled down to clear the lower roofline of the 92 - this one will pull the side of the house down, and what's more, it will do it silently! Unless you can score a cheap class 60, possibly with a damaged body, this may be a rather expensive solution, though.

I have a few reservations about disconnecting the motor bogie gears: the motor bogies often don't run as freely as trailing bogies, and so add extra drag, and also it means you are back to only one motor bogie providing the power - to be fair, the Lima motor bogies tended to pull better than the Hornby ones, but neither type is usually as smooth as modern mechanisms. 

The doublemotor solution is a good compromise for getting more power and smoothness from an existing model like the 92, but (for what it's worth!) I would be inclined to find a similar motor bogie to one of those already in it, and fit that in place of the odd one. If you can get an extra Lima one, discard the Hornby one; if you can get a Hornby one, discard the Lima one.